Weird Excel Error

Reaction score
So here I am diligently working on a spreadsheet. As I'm grinding through this thing, I come to a point where I can get no further unless I grab some information from another spreadsheet. I download the file I need and attempt to open it. It opened (or appeared to anyway) and a pop-up came with it.

It reads:
"Microsoft Excel cannot save AutoRecover info to Macintosh HD:User:Nick:Documents:Microsoft User Data:Office 2008 AutoRecovery:."

with two options:
"Do not show this dialog again for this session of Excel."
and
"OK"

Unfortunately, clicking either does absolutely nothing for me...

What's more, it won't even let me quit Excel. I can still run other programs, etc.

Ultimately I would like to get rid of this and still keep my unsaved work.. Anything I can do?

OP
N
Reaction score
Maybe this will help someone else someday...

I learned how to do the force quit thing.. And as luck would have it, through the power of a higher being, it somehow saved.. under the name of the second file i tried opening... None of it makes sense to me but i'm glad to have my original work :)

Reaction score
Autorecover error in Excel on a Mac

A couple of times while using Excel and while doing nothing special, it has simply crashed with the same pop up message.

"Microsoft Excel cannot save AutoRecover info to Macintosh HD:User:Tricky Documents:Microsoft User Data:Office 2008 AutoRecovery:."

with two options:
"Do not show this dialog again for this session of Excel."
and
"OK"

As Nick noted clicking either does nothing and it is impossible to exit Excel or save the document you are working on. The only way to exit is to use the "Force Quit" function under the apple in the top left hand corner of the screen. You don't get any option to save your work, but in my case, on restarting Excel, everything came back the way I left it.

I thought Mac's were supposed to be bug free? Maybe Apple didn't write the software for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, it''s buggy. I hope Office 2011, due out this fall, will be better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.