Mini Display Port to DVI adapter for the new macbook

Reaction score
Hi, I want to purchase a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI digital video cable so that I can watch movies through my new macbook to my sony bravia TV. I would like to ask if anyone has tried this kind of connection and if it worked because this port is completely new and in addition the adapter is quite expensive . So I would prefer to have a feedback before I buy it. thank you very much for your help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I've done it using my TV (a Sony, KDL-52W3000). I use the mini-Displayport to a DVI to HDMI cable (from Monoprice, I think). It worked with no issues at all, plug and play.

I did notice that the max resolution was 1080i. I don't know if that is a limitation of the Macbook or the TV (I expected 1080p).

Just make sure the TV is set to the right picture mode (Screen Settings: Wide mode = "Full" and Display area = "Full pixel").

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple recently announced that it was going to be releasing a mini-Display Port to HDMI cable, so if you wait just a bit longer you won't have to worry about having to buy two cables.

However, if you can't wait, then I can assure you that the method you described has worked for many people just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - Core i7 @ 2.66ghz
Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't DVI the same quality as HDMI, just that DVI is limited to solely video, where HDMI does audio & video???

And to the OP, the mini-display to DVI cable is only $20 at best buy; and thats for the Apple brand cable. They also have the Best buy off-brand version, "Dynex" which is like $3 cheaper, at $16.99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That is correct. To get audio to play on a TV you would need to get a separate cable to plug into the headphone jack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.