issues with connecting after installing verizon wireless access manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black), 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB
Yesterday afternoon, I installed the pantech Verizon Wireless Access Manager so I could get reception in my school's library. When I got back home, I attempted to connect to our home network, netgear. The computer said it was connected and all four bars were up, but nothing would open, and safari said the page couldn't load because it wasn't connected to the internet. I deleted the VZW program, nothing. Without a clue of what to do, I took it to the local apple store, the guy deleted something under advanced network options, and then it worked perfectly in the store. I got home, same problem as before. The other computers in the house are having no problems connecting to netgear, and I can connect to a different network with a very weak and spotty connection.

I know it's a longshot that anyone might have a clue of what to do, but anything at all would be appreciated.

ETA: I've unplugged and re-plugged the router as per network diagnostics. I looked around for an answer but may not have looked thoroughly enough, so my apologies if this has been answered somewhere else (although, if it has, a link would be super appreciated).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm biased against Netgear having had no luck with their routers, but let's see if we can suggest something:

I think it may be a security problem so....

Go into the Netgear setup menu (check your manual to find out how) and enter the WAN menu. Under the WAN sub menu you should have a wireless setup. Temporarily turn off all security under the wireless setup, IOW, clear WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc and passwords\phrase. Reboot the router by removing and replacing power.

Also go into the Network preferences of your machine and make sure all your settings are correct - such as the name of the network, and so forth. Then try again to see if you can get on the net with your machine.

BTW, do you really need the Pantech Verizon WAM to get on the net at school?

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After hardwiring an ethernet cable into the netgear router, the internet connection works just fine, so I've decided that it's a problem with AirPort not recognizing signals. Is there anything I can do about this other than take it back to apple?

The network connection in the library is password protected. Instead of contacting ICS, I decided it would be easier to just use the VZWAM. Dumb decision, I know.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and needless to say, I deleted the WAM from my computer. PCs have an add/remove software menu to completely delete programs. Do macs have something like this, or is it completely gone once I stick it in the trash and empty the trash bin?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No add or remove required. Just drag the Verizon software to the trash and it should be deleted. There are no registry entries with OS X, so nothing to worry about there. Possibly one or two configuration files may be left behind but pose no problem.

I'm betting your machine can connect wirelessly if you remove the security from the router as I suggested. But if you're happy connected via ethernet cable I guess all is well.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took it to apple twice, they ended up ordering a new airport card. Used airport express card, wireless works pretty well in the meantime. Thanks so, so much for your help, chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.