Good tax software for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I've been using Turbotax (desktop and online) for years but am looking for an alternative for 2008. Any suggestions? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been using Turbotax (desktop and online) for years but am looking for an alternative for 2008. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not many choices out there for OS X. I've read reviews from several places and they seem to agree that for the Mac TurboTax is superior. There is also Tax Cut from H.R. Block but it comes in second to TT.

If you have a Windows machine handy, do your taxes on it. Lots of choices including a good portion which are free. I'll probably do my 2008 taxes on my old Toshiba notebook which runs XP Home. Tax Act for Windows which I have used before even includes one free e-File. You can use their on line version or download.

TaxACT Free Tax Software, Free Tax Return with Free Efile of Your Federal Income Tax Return

Regards.

Reaction score
I used TurboTax on PC for years, used it once for Mac, then switched to Tax Cut. For the vast majority of users, TaxCut will be more than sufficient and has avoided some of the quirky issues Quicken put in Turbo Tax to prevent piracy (this was a few years ago, but was the such a bad experience that it caused me to switch to TC and I haven't looked back).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.