Games for iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
Looking for some games to pass the time for my 1.2Ghz iBook. I used to be a heavy gamer (mostly online FPS titles) but have cut back tremendously. I don't expect to use my iBook for heavy gaming, just occasional fun.

So, knowing that it's a 12" 1.2Ghz iBook, what games do you recommend that will still run great on my machine? List out your favorites, whether it be Halo or Snood (so addictive!). I also used to love this space-sim called Escape Velocity. That was a cool one.

T

titan0111

Mahone said:
Looking for some games to pass the time for my 1.2Ghz iBook. I used to be a heavy gamer (mostly online FPS titles) but have cut back tremendously. I don't expect to use my iBook for heavy gaming, just occasional fun.

So, knowing that it's a 12" 1.2Ghz iBook, what games do you recommend that will still run great on my machine? List out your favorites, whether it be Halo or Snood (so addictive!). I also used to love this space-sim called Escape Velocity. That was a cool one.
This is a kinda antique game but how about StarCraft BroodWar?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking about UT2004. Does that run decent on an iBook?

R

Ryanstech

get a NES emulator and play some old nintendo games. RockNES emulator is what I use

M

mangoSharingan

UT2004 (only demo but I play the same stage all the time on Team Deathmatch anyways), Sim City 4, Football Manager 2005, Warcraft III and Airburst Extreme work fine on my iBook. Obviously not on all max detail and at mega-fast FPS though.

P

phatsew

Unreal 2004 won't boot on your iBook. You can pick up the original Unreal Tournament for $9 at a store and play it in classic! :eek:

I second the vote for just filling your hard drive with emulators.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Explain emulators to me, or point me to an easy-to-read, newbie tutorial on them. What all do I need and where do I go?

P

phatsew

jessica said:
do games run on the new ibooks?

A lot of the newer games won't because of the restrictive video capabilities. But a good portion should be playable.

P

phatsew

Mahone said:
Explain emulators to me, or point me to an easy-to-read, newbie tutorial on them. What all do I need and where do I go?

Emulators are software that emulates a certain machine, for example arcade machines or consoles like NES and Genesis. Newer consoles like N64 and Playstation have emulators that are more tricky to run and the files of the games are large in size. Emulators of the 8 and 16 bit home consoles are easy to find and small. I'm at work now and can't remember the name of the good emulators I use on my Mac box, but when I get home I can post them for you.

P

pronoob

but iBOOK have a 9200SE built in ya? thats kinda like GeForce 3 32MB versions
I played UT 2003 Demo in my PC with AMD 1GHz and GF2 Pro 32MB with 256MB RAM and i manage to play it
why wont UT2K4 demo boot in iBOOK?

F

flonejek

oh and UT 2004 does play on an iBook with pixelshading of coz the res is low enaugh for the 9200 to handle it with just 32 megs.

P

Phiber

phatsew said:
Emulators are software that emulates a certain machine, for example arcade machines or consoles like NES and Genesis. Newer consoles like N64 and Playstation have emulators that are more tricky to run and the files of the games are large in size. Emulators of the 8 and 16 bit home consoles are easy to find and small. I'm at work now and can't remember the name of the good emulators I use on my Mac box, but when I get home I can post them for you.

I have a Play Station and a Game Cube emulator on my home PC. @_@ It's te cool. The only thing is you gotta have a load of power to run those decently.

Reaction score
'oni' is a good game and you can download a free update so that it will work in osX .I think that this applies to Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 as well. If you like classic games then check out 'Oolite' which is an osx version of elite space flight sim trading game, top fun and costs nothing.

M

mangoSharingan

pronoob said:
but iBOOK have a 9200SE built in ya? thats kinda like GeForce 3 32MB versions
I played UT 2003 Demo in my PC with AMD 1GHz and GF2 Pro 32MB with 256MB RAM and i manage to play it
why wont UT2K4 demo boot in iBOOK?

It does boot. Dunno why people aren't saying it doesn't. It works perfectly fine on my iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.