Trade in desktop for notebook possible?

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a quick question...

I have access to an older G4 desktop that is currently sitting unused atop a cabinet at my school. It has a tower/monitor and cords etc. I asked the teacher and he claims that something went bad in it and they stuffed it away ever since. Never bothered to fix it or whatever.

I may be able to 'buy' it from my school for cheaper than dirt, since its a cool-looking paperweight at the moment.

If I took it to an Apple store with intentions of buying a MBP, would I be credited for this desktop? Do they do that? I cant find this answer on the Apple.com site or here searching, can you effectively "trade-in" a computer for a new one?

Much appreciated!

Logan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple does not accept trade ins. Sell it yourself and apply the money you get toward the new machine. However, you may be able to find an independent authorized Apple dealer who will accept a trade in.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
Sorry, slightly off topic here, but do all schools in the states use macs?

In england they are quite scarce in schools, unless somebody wants to tell me otherwise. My school have 2 and they are for the music technology students in college.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry, slightly off topic here, but do all schools in the states use macs?

Negative. Only time I used Mac's in school was back in elementary school. During Middle school and high school all we ever had were Dell PCs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well as far as grade school goes, I agree with Eric559. We used/use primarily PC's with an exception of one computer lab full of Macs (oldies) for a typing class.

However, I will be attending college come fall of 2009 and they have actually looked at this. I don't know if they took a survey or something but according to the college it is generally 68% Mac users (whether laptop or desktop unknown) and 32% PC users (also, laptop/desktop unknown).

Food for thought.

And thanks chscag for answering promptly to my original question. I dont know what went bad in it, maybe its worth replacing a part to tool around on for the summer before school??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.