Basic question about installing apps in Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" recyclable MacBook Pro - Go Green!
Hi,
I'm a newbie to the Mac world and have been a windows user all my life.
When I install a new application (like Gimp), where is it installed?
Seems like I need to go to the download folder and click on it each time I need - which brings me to a larger question.
What is the basic folder/area for all applications install?
Or is there no such concept?

Pls help!! Trying to understand the flow of events..but just seems so different to windows!!:[

thanks in advance :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
Great to see you have made the switch from Windows to Mac. Whilst it may take you a little getting used to, it won't be long before your well on your way to being an advanced Mac user. :)

With Gimp, you will find that it is .dmg file. A .dmg file on the Mac is the same as the .exe file on Windows so once you've downloaded it run the .dmg file. When you run the dmg file you will find it loads on the desktop with a little drive type icon and a window will appear with some icons in there including the Gimp program file which has the nice icon of the dog head.

All you need to do to install Gimp is drag the dog head icon to your applications folder. If you want you can then from your applications folder drag the icon to your dock so you can start Gimp even faster.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" recyclable MacBook Pro - Go Green!
duh... now that does sound simple!! I didnt realize that .dmg is like an exe.
thanks a ton, rembrandt!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, a dmg is more like an iso file. The application inside is like the exe file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.