iMac memory in Macbook

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have (just last weekend) purchased a 24' iMac that come with 2gb ram (SoDIMM). My boss has a MBP that is less that 6mths old, but only has 1gb or Ram.

When I got my iMac, I purchsed a 2x2gb SODIMM's to upgrade my memory, so my question to you fine folk is. Will the old SODIMM's from my iMac work in his MBP?

Thanks in advance.
Moose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
Not necessarily... You will need to check that they memory modules are in fact the same as they can be different. A quick check is to go to your Apple icon menu > then about this mac... you will see the memory type something like

1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

You might find that the new iMacs are 800MHz and the Macbook Pro is 667 MHz depending on exactly how old it is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks rembrandt

Being new to Mac, do they work the same that if you were to say put 800mhz ram in to a machine that only support 667hmz, it will still work but at the lower speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Thanks rembrandt

Being new to Mac, do they work the same that if you were to say put 800mhz ram in to a machine that only support 667hmz, it will still work but at the lower speed?
Yes it will work at a slower speed. It's the same thing as putting PC2-5300 & PC2-4300 together, the PC2-5300 will run at 533mhz, as apposed to 667hmz.

All Motherboards (or Logic Boards to Apple) will work with the highest rated memory, and will always work with memory that is rated lower than the max.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.