WiFi and LCD

Reaction score
My Powerbook G4 Alu (the first 1.5ghz version) has a glitchy screen and bad wifi. I know what's wrong with the screen. It seems to be the LCD cable is messed up. And the wifi just doesn't pick up signals very strong. I went to the apple store today and I only got 2 bars, and they have verry good wifi, they also told me replacing this wire would cost me almost 250 bucks. And its only a 20$ part. Does anyone have any experience replacing their powerbooks LCD cable?
also, what can/ should I do to fix/ boost the wifi?
-thx ;) help greatly appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The original aluminum Powerbooks were not great on WiFi reception even when brand new. Perhaps replacing that cable may have something to do with the orientation of the antenna which is located in the screen area?

As for doing it yourself, you might want to take a look at the DIY instructions which are posted at: iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Just find your model Powerbook and look up replacing the screen. That should give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

Regards.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
also looking for some kind of hardcase for this (like the techshell one), but I can't find one. Does the powerbook g4 have the same footprint as a macbook pro, will a case for mbp fit on it (but with different holes cut for ports)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.