• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Screen Video Capture

Reaction score
I have been asked by my teacher at college to do a few video tutorials for using a couple of porgrams

and as i use a Mac he was unable to suggest a program for doing this, i don't want to use a video camera pointed at my screen because it looks awful

can anyone point me in the direction of a good program for this fi one exists for the Mac

i need to be able to record my voice at the same time as i do the tutorials

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Raven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This list on Macworld might be a good start. I'm sure they did a write up of many of them, but I can't find it.

Reaction score
I use 'screenflow' Excellent piece of software, lets you record the screen with the mac audio, or you can set it to the built in microphone so you can talk!

Hope this helps.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Snapz Pro X is another great option

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question for Screenflow users ... is it possible to create a picture-in-picture video (ie recording of the screen with facial video as well) with a html output of decent quality @ 1 - 1.5 MB/min?
I am a Camtasia Studio user who just bought a Mac, did the research and purchased Camtasia for Mac (because it seemed to be the best option) only to discover it won't produce a video as described above.
I create videos which are used within moodle for professional courses ... the mp4 files will not do.
Thanks,
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Personally, I use iShowU HD. I've had good success with it for what I've done so far. It does offer a PiP with a webcam attached. It offers multiple output options from which you need to choose what resolution and compression ratios you want to use. Since I tend to edit the final video in Final Cut, I usually use either AIC or ProRES which isn't meant for web use, but the program does offer a variety of preset web and other modes, plus you can set a custom mode.

Nice thing is - you can download it and try it for free.
Products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Hi, I have a question for Screenflow users ... is it possible to create a picture-in-picture video (ie recording of the screen with facial video as well) with a html output of decent quality @ 1 - 1.5 MB/min?

The output capability should be similar to any other Mac video tool. With custom settings you should be able to lower the data rate substantially. Keep in mind that lowers the quality. As with any video output experimentation will be required up front for your unique needs.

I don't know that SF builds HTML for you. Most if not all of the screen capture applications have some kind of try before you buy option. I suggest you take advantage of that.

I create videos which are used within moodle for professional courses ... the mp4 files will not do.

According to the Moodle wiki, mp4 files will do.

P.S. Please stop highjacking hold posts with unique new questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
If you are running snow leopard, quicktime X has a screen recording feature. (file>new screen recording) It can record your voice whole recording too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Oh man, I just looked at the date of the original thread, I normally don't like to post to threads that have been revived from the dead like I did :blushing: oh well, glad xstep noticed :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Oh man, I just looked at the date of the original thread, I normally don't like to post to threads that have been revived from the dead like I did :blushing: oh well, glad xstep noticed :D

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old post if there is something useful to add. Someone else will have the same question and find exactly what they were looking for. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.