How much memory is enough for Mac Mini?

ped

Reaction score
Is 512MB enough or is 1GB needed? I'm talking about for normal usage, not massive photoshop stuff. How much do you need to keep the Mac from hitting swap?

B

Badger

The Macs Only site ran a series of tests to benchmark the mini with different amounts of RAM. The report is at: http://www.macsonly.com/arch00501.html. The end result is that they concluded that 256 mgs is sufficient for most users and that there is no worthwhile improvement (for most users) by going above 512 mgs.

Reaction score
What do you think about the argument of getting the 1.25 machine over the 1.42. Do you think it makes much difference for things like photoshop or handling movies or PDFs? Is it worth going the extra bit?

I

IcedOutQMutha

richieg said:
What do you think about the argument of getting the 1.25 machine over the 1.42. Do you think it makes much difference for things like photoshop or handling movies or PDFs? Is it worth going the extra bit?

I'm getting the 1.42, but my personal opinion is that a BTO 1.25 with an 80GB harddrive is just as good, thats really why I upgraded, I just didnt want to delay my shipping anymore with BTO. Apparently though a lot of those people are getting them right on time so turns out I coulda saved some bucks, oh well. It would probobly improve high end applications like Photoshop a tad I'd imagine though.

Reaction score
ped said:
Is 512MB enough or is 1GB needed? I'm talking about for normal usage, not massive photoshop stuff. How much do you need to keep the Mac from hitting swap?

According to tests i have seen, 512 seems to be the sweet spot for the mini. 256 is not enough and you will find it running a bit laggy if you try and multitask much, but it seems to smooth out and run fine with 512. So unless you plan on doing video editing and such i would go with the 512 for every day normal type usage. With 256 the mini has to do to much swaping and that will certainly slow it down.

I know when i brought my wifes iMac G5 home it only had 256 in it and i could see a difference, but when i added another 512 it smoothed right out and runs very well.

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
richieg said:

I got the 1.42 Ghz machine. And don't forget it comes with twice as large a HD too.

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
James said:
According to tests i have seen, 512 seems to be the sweet spot for the mini. 256 is not enough and you will find it running a bit laggy if you try and multitask much, but it seems to smooth out and run fine with 512. So unless you plan on doing video editing and such i would go with the 512 for every day normal type usage. With 256 the mini has to do to much swaping and that will certainly slow it down.

I know when i brought my wifes iMac G5 home it only had 256 in it and i could see a difference, but when i added another 512 it smoothed right out and runs very well.

That's what I was thinking too. I am a power user and do multitask a lot and just using it last night for the first night I had it choking on 256MB so I got a Corsair 512MB today. I'll post up how it works after I get it installed.

B

Badger

richieg said:
Besides the faster processor the only difference is the hard disk size. Given that the 1.42 is slightly faster and has double the HD space it seems to be worth the extra $$$.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With the stock 256 Megs it would be fine for just using Mail and maybe Safari but if you try to multitask with more than one application running it will start swapping to the HDD and make things slow way down. Like James said, 512 apears to be a sweet spot and would be fine for most usage with many programs running. If you intend to do large jobs like Video Editing and such I would go all the way to 1Gig RAM. 512Megs will be fine though for most users even if they run several normal everyday apps at once. I used my G4 for a while with Panther and 512 and it was pretty snappy till I started doing editing of large audio and Video files then I upped it to 1.5 Gigs for the crazy stuff I do!

Reaction score
I "upped" my mac mini to a 1Gig. As mentioned in an earlier thread, when running several applications I noticed a little bit of lag with the 256MB . After the switch, it's like "night and day." You don't notice if you're using Safari, but once you have several applications running the difference is clear.

I'm sure the 512MB would've been fine in my situation, but you just can't beat 1 Gig :cool:

VJ

J

JohnWasHere

I have 256 and it def. does lag when I have a few apps open.. What kind of RAM should I buy for this and where can I get it for the cheapest? I really wanna upgrade to 512. Any good online stores runing specials?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
i upgraded from 256MB to 1GB and WOW what a difference it was like having a whole new mac mini!!

Reaction score
JohnWasHere said:
I have 256 and it def. does lag when I have a few apps open.. What kind of RAM should I buy for this and where can I get it for the cheapest? I really wanna upgrade to 512. Any good online stores runing specials?
Don't buy the ram too cheap its best to stick to makes like Kingston.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
Mr Bobbins said:
Don't buy the ram too cheap its best to stick to makes like Kingston.

kingston, crucial, ocz, corsair, samsung they are the makes to generally stick with, coz cheapo ram will usually just casue errors, or HD corruption

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
Followup report - the Mac mini is running much better with 512 than with 256. No surprise there, of course. What's of note is that 512 appears to be "enough" as we all suspected. It rarely taps into all available memory, even under the heaviest loads I've thrown at it (so far).

J

JohnWasHere

ped said:
Followup report - the Mac mini is running much better with 512 than with 256. No surprise there, of course. What's of note is that 512 appears to be "enough" as we all suspected. It rarely taps into all available memory, even under the heaviest loads I've thrown at it (so far).

Awesome. Where did you get your 512 ram? I wanna get some but dont know where to buy from and what to look for. :confused: Please help!

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
JohnWasHere said:
Awesome. Where did you get your 512 ram? I wanna get some but dont know where to buy from and what to look for. :confused: Please help!

Fry's Electronics is where I got it, but you can order the same one anywhere since I'll give you the full info. Here's the info off the sticker from the module:

Corsair 512MB PC3200 Module
CMX512-3200C2

You can search for that part number anywhere - newegg.com, pricewatch.com, zipzoomfly.com, etc...

G

gdestiny

anyone w/ experience going from 512MB -> 1GB? i have 512MB right now and was wondering if it's worth the trouble and money to go 1GB? most people are going from 256MB to 1GB, so of course there will be a BIG difference in performance.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
According to Macworld benchmarks there is no difference when running just one major application between 256 and 1G, if otoh you are multitasking several major apps I would ask why on earth you are trying to do so on a Mini!

For day to day email, browsing and iPhoto usage there is nothing to be gained, just remember to shut down Apps when you've finished with them.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.