Buying RAM For My G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400 Gigabit
Someone on eBay is selling 2x 256Mb PC100 SDRAM sticks (Non-ECC), which according to MacTracker is fine for my G4.

The thing is, they are Kingston sticks, and the part number is KTD-OPGX1N/256 which is apparently for a Dell PC. Does this matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mac are very fussy about memory specs. Of extreme importance is low density. Most eBay memory sold, unless it is advertised under the Apple section of eBay, will not be compatible.

This is what you need. Note the specs and start top search and for what it is worth invest if 512MB SDRAM rather than 256MB.

512MB PC133 CL3 3-2-2/PC100 CL2 2-2-2 1... (OWC133SD512328) at OWC

PC133 may well be a better investment as you can move it to Quicksilvers up to 1GHz DP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400 Gigabit
Cheers mate. I never knew there was a difference when buying RAM... I just assumed if I knew the speed, size and type of RAM I was sorted... d'oh!

I've just seen this guide on eBay about low vs high density memory, and I've emailed the seller to check how many chips are on each side of each RAM stick.

The pic in their auction shows 2 sticks with 8 chips on the side but obviously I don't know whether the other side of each stick also has 8 chips on it as well.

The only other thing I don't know about these RAM sticks is whether they are CL2 or CL3.

Might have a look in the Apple section on eBay and check out the Mac specific RAM on there later, but even then there's always a danger of people selling incompatible RAM but claiming it is... This is getting complicated for my feeble brain now haha!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400 Gigabit
I just looked here and it says they are CL3.

Does it matter much, CL2 or CL3? This website seems to basically say not really?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400 Gigabit
OK, I decided to buy this 512Mb RAM stick off eBay today. It's a Kingston stick and various sources online state that it's compatible with the PowerMac G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.