gray screen on boot with chime, but no apple logo

Reaction score
i have had my PB for some time now and i have recently replaced my HD with a new one since it was failing. i was booting the computer off an external HD for a while before that one crashed as well. when i boot up the PB off the OSX tiger disk, since i don't have the original boot disk, all i get is a gray screen. it chimes in and reads the inserted disk, but it remains at a gray screen and no apple logo the LCD does turn on as well as the back light, but is somewhat dim in my opinion. i have reset the PMU, PRAM, help Option on boot up, help C on boot up, command-option-shift-delete to force boot from the disk, basically everything and yet all i get is a gray screen. i have tried hooking it up to an external display and still all i get is a gray screen. so i went back and check all the connections formatted the new internal drive in a external enclosure with my IMAC, still the same. i even went the apple store and they tried booting it off an external disk and the display remained gray and no apple logo appeared. just need a second opinion on this one for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is this the original Tiger disk that came with that machine or a black coloured retail install DVD?

OP
alatas04
Reaction score
it originally came panther, so this is a retail family pack disk, with 2 licenses's left. i have done a fresh install before just using this disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.