canon or nikon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i was looking at Nikon's my dad is a Photographer and he has had Nikon since b4 i was born and i like Nikon but i recently been looking a Canon. i was thinking for a first D-SLR as a D60 or a EOS Rebel XSi

what do all of you think?

Mind you i am in school for graphic design..

thanks for all the insight in advance...

Reaction score
The best all around Canon is the 40D, They are very reasonable right now.
A good site to read reviews is.
fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom
One advantage of the 40D is, it can take 6.5 fps. the auto focus rate is very fast. The biggest thing to quality pics is the glass you put on the camera (don't skimp).
This shot was take with my 40d and a 17-40L lens last weekend.
IMG_6337.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
The answer is: either!

I'm a Nikon guy now, but either camera will do you well. My Canon is a point and shoot but my DSLR is a Nikon D40. They are both great cameras and DSLR wise either body will produce excellent results. What you are buying into are a host of lenses and accessories really.

My wife chose Olympus. Go figure. Choose your equipment and then go take great pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The downside with entry level Nikon is that they don't AF with all the Nikon lenses.

Other than that, they're about the same until you get up to the $2000+ range.

And buying used is better. An almost new 40D can be had for about $600 right now. That's cheap.

Reaction score
I use an XSi, but my vote would be go with the new Nikon D90.

As far as Nikon vs Canon, thats like comparing babtist and christians, you're typically going to get strong biased opinions in both directions. There are good and bad to both, but at least you've narrowed it down to a smart selection.

Decide what you want to spend first of all then decide on a total budget you would feel comfortable eventually spending on a camera. It might be more beneficial for you to spend a hair less on the camera and purchase a nicer lens.

The nikon D40/60 cameras are nice, I really like D80's and haven't seen a D90 in person yet but the specs are good.

I use an Xsi, I'd probably spend the extra on it compared to an XS. Any of the "D" cameras are good ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I would say to to a store where they have both camera companys, and get a feel how they both feel in your hands, how they look to you, how each does the basic of tasks.

The debate between Nikon and Canon will get you Fan boys from both sides. Best way to tell is to go and try them both. Get what YOU like, and what is in your budget.

All Camera's well generally take the same picture, lenses make a world of difference, like stated above, a cheaper camera might be the way to go, but get a nice lens.

Personally, I have a D50, and a D300 (new purchase) every lens I bought with the D50, works flawlessly on the D300... and I love them both. I use both for mine & my wifes Photography buisness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I thought baptists were Christians ;)

Anyway, either... I use Nikons because I have a lot of Nikkor glass.. but beyond that I absolutely dislike Canons 'ergonomics' and prefer Nikons. See if you can actually use both sometime and go from there.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
thanx everyone you are all insightful i will go to the store and feel them both out... i work at Best Buy...lol

Reaction score
Also, since your dad shoots Nikon, you could potentially have access to his lenses, right?

But yeah, check out the feel, ergonomics, etc'. They are all great systems, and you really can't go wrong with either.

You might get a Nikon today, then want a Canon in 2 years... Or vice versa... Same thing with other camera brands.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, since your dad shoots Nikon, you could potentially have access to his lenses, right?.

hahaha... HAHAHA me use his lenses.. i talked to my dad about that once that was a fast topic change... like "dad could i use your lenses if i got a Nikon", he saying "NO!" then asking how was i doing in my classes...lol...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahaha... HAHAHA me use his lenses.. i talked to my dad about that once that was a fast topic change... like "dad could i use your lenses if i got a Nikon", he saying "NO!" then asking how was i doing in my classes...lol...

Then offer to rent them from him. That's what other photographers do. You think everyone you see with one of those big-honking lenses on TV actually owns them? Jeebus those things cost $10,000+.

Oh, and just assure him that you'll be using a condom, er, filter for safe snaps with no lens damage. :D

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
again hahaha he wants me to earn everything i get in my life.. therefore that wont happen. it is ok though, i will build my lenses up in due time.. but that is a good idea thanx for the gesture. he says if i earn it i have more responsibility/ownership over it, ever since i was little i was taught the value of a buck..

which is why i want a Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I would argue this: You're earning it based on your effort to make great photography. Something you would be assisted with by having access to great lenses.

Your dad sounds like my generation, influenced by my previous generation. For reference I am 41. But when it comes to photography, you should be able to build on the previous generation. Anyway, good luck with your quest.

It is a quest, after all.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx for all the advice.. by the way i am 26 if you were wondering.. my dad is 58

Reaction score
I'll go on the record and say a Canon 40D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch
I wont get into the Canon Vs Nikon (but I own a Nikon); however, I will back you all day in getting a Mac:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ergonomics is priority numero uno. If the camera is not comfortable in your hand(s), then there's no way you should think about using it for daily use. The camera is something that should become another part of your body.. an extension of you. So as has been said earlier, go to a store and try several models out to see what's what.

Up until recently, I have felt that most Canon's were a bit skimpy feeling to me, especially the entry level ones (XSi etc), but was messing about with a 50D yesterday, and it felt pretty nice. However, I still think that the menu system is clumsy and unintuitive, especially when compared to the Nikon's. the Nikon cameras that I've researched felt better in my hands (not huge hands, but not small either) and seemed easier to use as far as control placement goes. Also, the menu system is extremely intuitive on the Nikons.

Then there's the whole Live view thing.. and the size of the LCD screen and FPS etc . Most of it is personal preference though. Picture quality wise, you'll get great shots out of both brands, but I've found that with Nikon, pictures seem to "pop" more. Why that is, I don't know.

Been begging the wife to let me get a D300 for a bit now, btw. :)

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Doug on the feel of the camera in your own hands. I recently did a photo shoot at the opening of our new Apple Store and used both a Nikon and Canon for the pics. The Canon just felt and worked right for ME. I felt at home with the Canon and the controls and feel and foreign to the Nikon. Both are great camera's but some will feel more at home with CAnon and some with Nikon. It's a good idea to try both and get the feel and see which one will be easier for you to use and enjoy.

Otherwise both are excellent cameras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Feel is...crap...considering the grand sceme of things.

You want a camera that is going to perform how you want it too. If a person is planning on shooting sports and they're looking at Canon, then there are certain cameras they'd want to rul out. They'd probably end up with a 40D. But if they were buying based on feel and though the XTI was better because of less weight and a smaller design, then they'd be buying for completely wrong reasons.

Buying based on feel should be low on a person's priority list and shouldn't factor into their decision until they've narrowed down their choices to cameras based on features.

True, a camera noob won't know what to look for in the way of features unless they research, but then again that's not our fault.

There was a guy on one of the forums I frequent that was asking how to use live view on the camera he just bought. He purchased a camera that doesn't have live view based on several people saying "Buy what feels best." That's a rare occurence but if he would have looked at the features instead of being a complete impulse buyer, then he would have gotten the camera he needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
Feel is...crap...considering the grand sceme of things.

You want a camera that is going to perform how you want it too. If a person is planning on shooting sports and they're looking at Canon, then there are certain cameras they'd want to rul out. They'd probably end up with a 40D. But if they were buying based on feel and though the XTI was better because of less weight and a smaller design, then they'd be buying for completely wrong reasons.

Buying based on feel should be low on a person's priority list and shouldn't factor into their decision until they've narrowed down their choices to cameras based on features.

True, a camera noob won't know what to look for in the way of features unless they research, but then again that's not our fault.

There was a guy on one of the forums I frequent that was asking how to use live view on the camera he just bought. He purchased a camera that doesn't have live view based on several people saying "Buy what feels best." That's a rare occurence but if he would have looked at the features instead of being a complete impulse buyer, then he would have gotten the camera he needed.

I couldn't disagree more.

You are going to be spending a lot of time holding your camera. If you aren't comftorble holding it and navigating it, you wont be happy and your pictures will suffer. In the grand scheme of things, most cameras really aren't all that different performance wise in the same price range. Their ergonomics, however, can make a big difference.

Personally, I'm a Canon guy and I shoot with a rebel xt. I like the camera, but it really is too small for my hands and I would have like a 40D, but I can't right now. I personally still wouldn't go to nikon just because I'm used to the canon interface and like it and I have invested in the system.

Go with what works best for you. Honestly, all the technical jargon in the world doesn't really make a difference for 95% or more of picture situations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.