canon or nikon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
Both are good brands with pluses and minuses. Though I myself shoot a Nikon D3 and D200 with an array of nice glass. :Cool:
awesomeness!
I'm just one camera away from you...
You can obviously guess which one :p
oh, the envy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
If you're a beginner / enthusiast.....you'll have fun with any Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Sony DSLR.

When you start to take it more seriously though, that's when you'll need to make some hard decisions. Personally, I will choose my lenses first before I choose a body for my Pro purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Exactly MacRab. When buying your first DSLR you have to look at what line of lenses your like more also. DSLR bodies come and go, but usually glass lasts forever. Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ is the best place for reading reviews of cameras and I find Welcome to Photozone! is pretty good for reviewing lenses.

But for starting off either nikon or canon are good choices to grow your hobbie. Currently I have a Canon 50D. At the time Canon had better bodies then nikon. To me canon still has a slight edge in the consumer and prosumer market with nikon recently (last few bodies D3 and D700) getting the slight edge in the pro market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
anyone ever use/buy refurbished lenses? worth the savings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium (al-oo-min-e-um) 2.4ghz, 250gb, 2gb DDR3 MB
Well i have mates who have Nikons and swear by them, yet i myself am Canon thru and thru. My EOS 450D takes clearer shots with far more colour depth and less aberration than many Nikon shots i have seen.

Yes the 40D is a great all rounder but for pure value for money my 450D (i think you Americans call it the Rebel XTi or Xsi??) is hard beaten. 12.3MP, 3.5 frames/sec and Digic III processor for £500 ($750-900??) is pretty good for what most people will want to use it for. Yes kit lens will not be as good but there isnt much between them TBH. My old man has the 5D and pictures are very similar, only the lens that the 5D comes with makes the difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's almost all in the lens, unless you have a full frame CCD.. that will make a huge difference, but put you up there in $$$ or £££ from either manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
anyone ever use/buy refurbished lenses? worth the savings?

I've bought two lenses used, a 35mm f/2 from a local reputable camera shop, brought my Nikon D80 with me to try it out and it shot great pictures, I actuated the diaphragm blades with the aperture lever to check for slop, and gently shook it side to side to hear if the AF mechanism was severely loose (and depending on lens model you might hear a little tapping which is normal by design). So far I've shot some great pictures with it.

The second is a 50mm f/1.8D I bought off eBay for about $50 less than retail, I was in contact with the seller who responded to my questions promptly, had 100% feedback and I had no reason to distrust him. When I got the lens if functioned perfectly. You just have to be weary and selective. And if it sounds too good to be true, well, you know it probably is. And if you have the chance to try-before-you-buy with your own camera, do it!

Thing is with lenses, you can probably find the same deal elsewhere so don't be in a hurry to jump all over a good deal.

As for SLR preference, there really is no "better" brand so to speak. As a previous poster mentioned, glass lasts longer than any body. I personally went with Nikon after using my sisters D80, I really liked the menu and the ease of use, plus the top window readout among other features led me to buy the D80 over the D40X. As for Canon, I tried using a friend's XSi I think it was, and it was too cumbersome and hard to figure out on the fly - I owned a Canon camcorder in the past and I didn't care too much for the menu layout on that either. The Nikon fit me well. I also have the 18-200mm VR lens as well and it really is a great all-around lens, but I can tell a difference in the crispness of pictures shot with my prime lens over the telephoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For Xmas, my wonderful wife bought me an Nikon D300 ! You can't imagine how happy I am about it, since I was planning on getting it somewhere down the road, anyway. She knew not to get me the kit lens because I've always spoken about how picky I am with glass and my needs etc..

Tomorrow I'm going to B&H to pick up a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime. And perhaps an 18-200 Sigma (which I think is just as good or even better than the Nikkor 18-200) or the Nikkor 18-125mm. I'm very excited, to say the least. Something I'm learning as well, is that the camera means absolutely nothing, if the person behind it doesn't know what to do with it. Getting the shot is the most important thing.. Knowing your camera's controls and being able to work with it efficiently enough is also important. And knowing which glass will be able to deliver your vision, is the last step.

Just remember though, without number one.. numbers two and three are absolutely useless. I still stand by being comfortable as a top priority. You don't want to have to think about your comfort level when creativity should be first in line.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I also have the 18-200mm VR lens as well and it really is a great all-around lens, but I can tell a difference in the crispness of pictures shot with my prime lens over the telephoto.

Curious. I tried the 18-200 (two of them actually) and found that the zoom creep really turned me off. The Sigma I'm going to look at tomorrow has a zoom lock, which is comforting. My question to you is, how long have you had that lens, how often do you use it, and like the two that I tested, does the lens retract as well as extend all the way when tilted in either direction ?

That's a great deal you got on the 1.8 prime. That thing produces some really tack sharp images. If only I trusted Paypal/Ebay, I'd ask you where you bought it from. But since I don't, B&H gets my cash. And don't mind the customer service as an aside, either.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've bought two lenses used, a 35mm f/2 from a local reputable camera shop, brought my Nikon D80 with me to try it out and it shot great pictures, I actuated the diaphragm blades with the aperture lever to check for slop, and gently shook it side to side to hear if the AF mechanism was severely loose (and depending on lens model you might hear a little tapping which is normal by design). So far I've shot some great pictures with it.

The second is a 50mm f/1.8D I bought off eBay for about $50 less than retail, I was in contact with the seller who responded to my questions promptly, had 100% feedback and I had no reason to distrust him. When I got the lens if functioned perfectly. You just have to be weary and selective. And if it sounds too good to be true, well, you know it probably is. And if you have the chance to try-before-you-buy with your own camera, do it!

Thing is with lenses, you can probably find the same deal elsewhere so don't be in a hurry to jump all over a good deal.

As for SLR preference, there really is no "better" brand so to speak. As a previous poster mentioned, glass lasts longer than any body. I personally went with Nikon after using my sisters D80, I really liked the menu and the ease of use, plus the top window readout among other features led me to buy the D80 over the D40X. As for Canon, I tried using a friend's XSi I think it was, and it was too cumbersome and hard to figure out on the fly - I owned a Canon camcorder in the past and I didn't care too much for the menu layout on that either. The Nikon fit me well. I also have the 18-200mm VR lens as well and it really is a great all-around lens, but I can tell a difference in the crispness of pictures shot with my prime lens over the telephoto.
Thanks for the input. I will keep the "if its too good to be true..." idea when I see a deal. I am getting very anxious to try my hand at one of the events coming up for which is one of the reasons I want my SLR to begin with... As far as fit goes, I have a Xsi and I know some poeple think they are bulky/big, but fortunately for me, I am 6'3" with large hands so it actually feel comfortable to me...thank goodness! getting some great advice/ideas here, thanks guys/girls...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
How long have you had that lens, how often do you use it, and like the two that I tested, does the lens retract as well as extend all the way when tilted in either direction ?

Hi,
Mine does not creep in either direction but if I push or pull on the end of the lens it will move, but if I tilt it straight up or down it does not. I have seen and heard of other people having the same problem but for me it hasn't been an issue.

It has been my primary lens since I got it new in April '08 and have probably released the shutter on it about 9,000 times so far. I really enjoy having the VR function. I shot both these with it, they are a tad on the blurred side because the sun was setting and the subjects were about 40 feet away - it's not too noticable though.

3147003854_697018570e.jpg

3146173749_45f3aeae25.jpg

All the pictures on my photo site were taken with the 18-200.

These were taken with the 35mm f/2
3158246076_f7bb54cc55.jpg

3165492625_7d160e8876.jpg

And this one with the 50mm f/1.8 - didn't use my bounce flash and I'm kicking myself for not using it. I've since taken some better ones, they're just not posted yet.
3166325328_931e559fd5.jpg

That's a great deal you got on the 1.8 prime. That thing produces some really tack sharp images. If only I trusted Paypal/Ebay, I'd ask you where you bought it from. But since I don't, B&H gets my cash. And don't mind the customer service as an aside, either.

I generally don't trust any one on eBay either but I haven't had too bad an experience - none that weren't resolved any way and that's only been a couple times, as both a buyer and seller. I really enjoy going into the locally owned camera shop though - they have some really neat antique stuff in there too that's nice to check out and their prices aren't bad at all.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I just want to say thanks to everyones input i finally got my SLR 3 days ago. i purchased a Canon Rebel XSi with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS and a second lens 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM with a canon back and sandisk 8gb card and card reader. so happy i work at best buy.. i saved like $300+ thank again everyone.
mycamera.jpg

a few first shots
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hope you enjoy the new DSLR, I love my Xsi....already started looking forward to moving up to a full frame. I know you probably have a ton of experience to fall back on from your father and know of different websites, but I find alot of good advice from dgrin.com

(was asked to be the event photographer at a local cheer competition next weekend, only using my Xsi and two rented lenses...who knows, once I get some REAL experience, I might actually get good at this!!!)

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
yea, the XSi is a great camera but cfor the most part it is not the body of the the camera it is the lenses and that person shooting that make the shot so great. so i am sure you will be great at it if you keep practicing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Macbook, 13", 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 2GB RAM
I have a Canon 450D but I prefer to use analogue cameras :)

Reaction score
canon 30D over here and love it. Once you get hooked on L glass, watch out its like heroin. What lens are you renting? In side a gym I would go with a 85mm F1.8 also look into the 17-55 IS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
canon 30D over here and love it. Once you get hooked on L glass, watch out its like heroin. What lens are you renting? In side a gym I would go with a 85mm F1.8 also look into the 17-55 IS.

I assume this was for me??? I am renting the 70-200mm f/2.8 USM (non IS) and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS . The 85mm was not available and I need to be able to go wide and then back to zoom at times. I already have the 100mm f/2.0 in my bag, but depending on how close they are going to let set up, it may be too close for that one. I used it at the last event, but I was at least 30 feet from the front of the competition floor. Yes, L glass is addicting... I will be purchasing my own 70-200mm soon... already got approval from my wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
if anyone has an XSI they want to sell me, please let me know, I am looking!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.