• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Going to Europe, what to do about cell phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
I'm with ATT, and have a Blackberry Curve 8310 which to my knowledge is a quadband phone. I will be heading to the Czech Republic and Germany over the holidays. I could use ATT's international calling plan which is $6.00/month + $0.99/min, but do I have any other options? I have heard some things about prepaid SIM cards, is this the way to go?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Assuming the phone is not carrier locked you could buy a prepay sim over there for about 5 - 10 euros and then you charge the sim with the amount of credit you want.

Its really simple to do, as long as your phone isn't locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Even if the phone is locked you can contact ATT and ask them for the unlock code since you are going to be traveling internationally and wish to use a prepaid sim card.

Search google a bit as this is pretty common.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would definitely recommend unlocking the phone and buying prepaid cards once you get to Europe. It's MUCH cheaper than using AT&T's international plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, there are some really cheap pay-as-you-go options available here in Germany: Simyo is pretty good...

OP
seanje
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
Yeah, there are some really cheap pay-as-you-go options available here in Germany: Simyo is pretty good...

Would I be still be able to use that card in Prague as well? Or will I need another SIM for the Czech Republic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
CZ!! My cousins are missionaries over there!! Yeah. Get pre-paid.

Reaction score
You should be able to use the same SIM in Germany and the Czech Republic. Prague is a wild *** town, my wife and I were just there a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
You can use the cards but unless they are the same carrier you will get screwed on the roaming rates, its easy and cheaper just to get separate simcards.

To give you an Idea a shop round the corner from my office sells Orange prepay sims with £5 of credit for £1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Go with pre-paid sims for sure... The past three summers I have gone to Europe for a month at a time, and the first time I decided to go with AT&T's plan, and with a smart phone I forgot to turn off data, and the bill was huge! (~$800) Second and third time I just called T-mobile (switched carriers) and they sent me the unlock codes for each one of my phones, bought a sim card in every country I went to and was extremely happy. I even had full service in a pretty deserted part of the Swiss Alps!! (idk, just like sharing that)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.