Connecting external Hard Drive via ethernet cable

Reaction score
I have recently switched from PC to Mac. In doing so I salvaged my old 500 gig Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive and placed it into a NexStar: LS 3.5 inch external case with USB and Ethernet connection capability.

For a month or so I have been backing up my data using Time Machine via the USB connection with no problems.

Recently I tried to utilise the Ethernet connection, however I have been unable to have the Mac Finder identify the drive. It does appear with a functioning green indicator light in the Network/Internet tab of System Preferences as Built-In-Ethernet with Self Assigned IP.

My question is how do I connect the drive using the Ethernet Cable for backup via Time Machine.

FYI: I also have a wireless a 2Wire ADSL 2+ modem/router (Supplied by Telstra Australia) with 4 Ethernet ports. So my second question is could the process be completed using this piece of hardware?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m new to the world of networking in general.

Kind Regards Mad Hawk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Yes you can connect the HDD to your wired router, and use it that way, you will however have to make some changes, Open a terminal window and type this exactly...

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

If you start to get errors, you need to open Disk Utility and make a sparsbundle file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes you can connect the HDD to your wired router, and use it that way, you will however have to make some changes, Open a terminal window and type this exactly...

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

If you start to get errors, you need to open Disk Utility and make a sparsbundle file.

Thank you so much for your help - I'll give it a try and hopefully I will have success.

Cheers
Madhawk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.