Switching from Blackberry to Iphone(?'s inside)

Reaction score
So I've had my Blackberry for several years, but as the new Iphone has developed and my friends have ordered theirs. I started to grow more interested in the phone, so now as I start looking for a new phone(out of boredom). I'm curious as to what it would cost to upgrade over to an Iphone.

I know I'm not eligible for an upgrade discount of any sort. My wireless provider is AT&T.

Would I just simply go to a AT&T store that carries the Iphone and buy a one and have them activate it or what?

Any ideas of what it would cost or how exactly I would go about upgrading to an Iphone is helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Hey i was in the same situation you were in about a month ago. I was on verizon but i was more interested in the iphone. Well this is what i did. I gave my plan to my sister because she needed it.
Then i walked into the att wireless store and asked a few questions.
20 mins later i walked out with my new iphone!!
This is what i did, i got a plan with only 550 minutes with rollover. I got the unlimited text messaging plan, and also the unlimited internet plan you have to get with the iphone. I paid only $214 at that moment, (basically just for the iphone) and the rest they bill to your first bill.
Well my statement came and it was only $160. This is extremely cheap compared to my verizon bill i was paying $190 every month. But dont get freaked out by your first bill, you probably already know they charge you more on your first bill. My next bill should only be around $60-70.
IMO you should deffinitly do the switch. The iphone is the best phone i have ever had, and ive had A LOT!
Good luck on your decision.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thats sort of what I thought, thanks for the info. If I were to stay with AT&T and just upgrade to an iPhone I wonder how much that would cost. Would I simply just pay for the phone and then the plan or are there fees associated with it? And how much would just getting the phone cost? As I'm worried about any unforeseen costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Oh sorry, i misunderstood you. If you just upgrade to the iphone then you would have to pay for the phone, then internet plan which is 30. Since you had a blackberry phone, you probably had the blackberry package. They can just switch it over. (no cost) The phone is 199 for the 8 GB and 299 for the 16GB.

This is all of course if you are out of your 2 year contract. If your still in the contract with your blackberry, you would either have to open a new phone line, or pay the full price of your blackberry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Oh sorry, i misunderstood you. If you just upgrade to the iphone then you would have to pay for the phone, then internet plan which is 30. Since you had a blackberry phone, you probably had the blackberry package. They can just switch it over. (no cost) The phone is 199 for the 8 GB and 299 for the 16GB.

This is all of course if you are out of your 2 year contract. If your still in the contract with your blackberry, you would either have to open a new phone line, or pay the full price of your blackberry.

Not exactly.

Any changes to your plan during the month will cost you prorated charges.

It's good to buy your phone and make any changes towards the end of the month. I purchased my phone the last day of the month so I wouldn't get hit with fees. Also be sure to ask about upgrade fees which I had to pay to upgrade to the iPhone from my BB Curve even though I was eligible for the discounted pricing on the iPhone.

The 199 and 299 cost of the iPhone is only if your eligible. Be sure to ask. You will most likely be eligible if your account is in good standing.

I don't know where you got that two year thing from. Why would he have to open a new line or pay the price of the BB? I am in my first year with ATT and I got the discounted price and no need to open a new line or pay full price for the BB. You are simply upgrading and extending your contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
There are some conflicting reports of what will happen should you choose to get an iPhone.

I was in your same boat - I am an AT&T user, I had an 8525 with the unlimited data plan, and a year left on my contract.

Because you are still in contract, you will pay full price for the iPhone ($299 for 8GB, $399 for 16GB). You do NOT pay anything for the BB since you are paying full price for the iPhone as you are still in contract.

Now, because the iPhone unlimited data plan is $30/month, my plan dropped $10 per month as the 8525 plan was $40/month.

If you text, I would pay the $20/mo for unlimited. I had 1500 and I went over that. Using SMS on the iPhone is much more appealing to use, probably because it looks like iChat unlike every other phone SMS capable phone out there.

My first bill was prorated, but I would recommend going in at the start of your billing cycle.

Only AT&T can tell you what you'll really be paying, but I thought I'd share my experience. I'm quite happy with the iPhone, it's fun to use and it doesn't get stale with all the apps you can add.

And to add, I have since Jailbroken mine since version 2.1 and it's been a dream. (Now using 2.2) My favorite Winterboard theme is Umicon (uses GANT icons, very cool).

photo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because you are still in contract, you will pay full price for the iPhone ($299 for 8GB, $399 for 16GB). You do NOT pay anything for the BB since you are paying full price for the iPhone as you are still in contract.

However, I was still in contract and paid the discounted price.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks a lot this answered almost all of my question exactly. Is $299 for the 8G and $399 for the 16G with or without the discount you were eligible for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot this answered almost all of my question exactly. Is $299 for the 8G and $399 for the 16G with or without the discount you were eligible for?

The price you posted is the full price I believe.

Discounted price is 199$ for 8gb and 299* for 16gb. You will have to ask ATT for your pricing to be 100 percent sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is $299 for the 8G and $399 for the 16G with or without the discount you were eligible for?

New AT&T customer or AT&T customer out of contract:
8GB: $199
16GB: $299

AT&T Customer with Pre-existing contract:
8GB: $299
16GB: $399

I myself was not eligible for the discount because I still had a year left on my contract on the AT&T 8525 TyTn which got me the phone for $199 instead of $399.

Had my contract been up I would have paid $199 for my iPhone 8GB, but instead I paid the $299. I'm still glad I did it. My 8525 was dying and it was my third replacement under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please tell me where it says you must be out of contract to be eligible for discounted pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please tell me where it says you must be out of contract to be eligible for discounted pricing.

AT&T releases policy for 3G iPhone upgrades and eligibility | iPhone Nation, Apple iPhone News, Blog Review

Basically, if you are eligible for upgrade you get the subsidized price.

If you are in contract (which means you got your current phone at a discount or free) then you can upgrade but you have to pay full ($299/$399 for 8/16GB respectively) price. Which is what I did - I got an iPhone after 16 months of having my 8525, so I paid the $299 and started a new 2-year contract.

Login to your AT&T Wireless account online to check for eligibility. Otherwise the iPhone will show up as an available purchase at the non-subsidized price.

I've had an AT&T account for years so that may have given me an advantage, I don't know. Your best bet is to go into an AT&T store and basically ask "how much to walk out with an iPhone today?"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.