Help, unable to repair through disk utility

Reaction score
Unable to repair startup drive through disk utility

Hi folks,

I have had a MacBook Pro for 2 yrs now. Lately it has been running slowly - so I used disk utility (never had before) to check for errors. I did find one error on the startup drive.

I called Mac Support, and the lady says I can't check the startup drive unless I boot from the restore/install disc and run a Volume/Disk repair on the startup disk. So I did this, but then it says "1 Volume could not be repaired". The Mac Support said I must have a corrupt file disk utility can't fix (which she has never seen before) - so I need to wipe my computer (I do have everything backed up to an external) - but if I wipe and reload it, won't I just bring back the corrupt file? And considering she has never seen this before, I thought I'd go for a 2nd opinion..

So, my questions: Any ideas on how I can get disk utility or another program to fix my error. And is my only option to wipe my computer :( The lady at Mac support was very friendly, but I thought I'd get any second opinions - would love any magical insight! Or, do I need to worry about this error at all - my concern being at some point it will cause a major problem and I may lose data, etc...

Hope I've explained my problem clearly enough...

I thought Mac's were relatively indestructable and uncorruptable :(

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.