Hard drive invisible; cannot install OS X

Reaction score
I have a Macbook, Intel based, purchased in 2007. Last week, I got the gray screen of death (probably from moving my Mac before it went all the way to sleep). I ran disk repair and had the "Invalid B-tree node size" and "Volume needs to be repaired." I searched all kinds of forums and tried everything, but what finally worked was a Zero out Erase. I used Disk Utility then repaired the drive, and I was happy.
But, now when I go to reinstall OS X (Tiger) off the Disk, when I get to "Select a Destination" there is NOTHING there. There is no drive to select. How can I reinstall OS X? Anyone? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boot with the OSX Tiger DVD. When you get to the install screen, open Disk Utility from the Tools menu. Does the drive show up? If so, go to the Partition menu and partition the drive.

Reaction score
cant find hard drive

hey
i have the same problem, however when i go to disk utility i cant see my hard drive. when i start up i either get the grey page with enless spinning, or the flashing folder and question mark.
any clues as to what to do? i have tried accessing my comp thru another mac and cant see it, and cant find my hard drive anywhere. ta! benj

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.