Flight Simulator X performance?

Reaction score
Hey guys my first post. I haven't read through the posts and may be asking a question that has already been asked. I'm in a bit of a hurry and apologize ahead of time... :[

I'm wanting to buy a new macbook pro fully upgraded minus the 2.8 processor. I wanted to know how well it would handle Micorsoft Flight Simulator X in bootcamp. I know it can run it, I just want an idea of how well. I may go out and buy a "gaming" pc if it's not exceptional, but really want os x. It's important to me becuase I'm a "real life" pilot and want a descent experience playing it. If you could give me your honest opinion on a scale of 1-10? (1 being "unplayable" and 10 being "flawless") your feedback would be greatly appreciated. These are the requirements and I know it technically blows it away but my question is mostly based on graphics performance:

# Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
# PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
# 256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
# 14 GB available hard disk space
# DVD-ROM drive
# 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required

By the way if I get this it will be my first mac and am pretty excited about it. My computer I'm using now is 5 years old and is an absolute crap-shoot, so I'm pumped about getting a new computer! Any help is greatly appreciated. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're a real life pilot you'll probably forget about MS Flight Simulator after you try this one:

X Plane = X-Plane, by Austin Meyer

And, it's made for OS X. Windows not needed! :Evil:

BTW, MS FS will work fine with your MBP. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I'm a 'Real Pilot' too (though out of currency, in both ways of the term; also how do you know a pilot is in the room? He'll tell you. *rimshot*)

Anyway I'd second that X Plane recommendation. A MBP should be able to handle it fine between the graphics acceleration, the processors and memory config. My Macbook definitely can't otherwise I'd be using it too, but X Plane is a much more realistic simulator. Granted I will say that back in the day Microsoft's flight simulator of the day got me familiar with how airplane handle pretty well. Despite what my instructor told me.

(I ditched that instructor for a better one after my first flight.)

Reaction score
@ytaimaishu,
I tried FSX on my late 08 (512 VRAM, 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM) and it was working quite ok. I think I had around 20-30 fps with almost all settings maxed but I wasn't flying in cities so it might be much less. On the other hand, I haven't done any config tweaking (edit: this one seems to be more complete) which enhance a lot the performances.

I recently switched to OSX and I've never tried X-Plane. After reading your posts, I'm very excited to try. Unfortunately I'm not a real pilot but I hope I will get a license one day ;)

regards,
Tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well,
I was very excited by this new simulator that I didnt know before and yesterday I tried the demo on my MBP. I must say that I was a bit disappointed by the physics of the plane behaviour :(

What, you can't barrel roll an airliner? It's been done with a 4 engined Boeing 720 back in the day when American engineers were putting people on the Moon! ;D Granted, an Airbus isn't going to let you do it, but I could easily imagine a 7 something something being easily barrel rolled. Dangerous of course, but given enough altitude I think the physics are bang on.

Reaction score
What, you can't barrel roll an airliner? It's been done with a 4 engined Boeing 720 back in the day when American engineers were putting people on the Moon! ;D Granted, an Airbus isn't going to let you do it, but I could easily imagine a 7 something something being easily barrel rolled. Dangerous of course, but given enough altitude I think the physics are bang on.
Yes I know : YouTube - Boeing 707 barrel roll

But on my previously posted video, it is done too easily on a very low speed. The impression I had from the demo is that I can do whatever I want with the plane at any speed. I might be wrong though cos I was flying using my mouse with might give a hit to the realism.

I will just buy the game and see ;)

btw, can I buy it online and download it ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.