Really tired of my Mac right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I've posted previous problems, but I'm REALLY tempted to switch back to PC. I bought my Mac less than 2 months ago and I love the look of the OS and the actual computer, but:

The battery is going insane. Might be able to fix.
Randomly my bluetooth isn't working.
It runs really hot.
Atleast twice a week i open up the screen and it tells me that I need to re-enter the wifi password. ***??? Its annoying since its like 40 keys long.
Randomly its asking for some keychain password or something. I give it my master password and nothing. I end up just keep pressing enter until it works (3 tries)
It froze when I opened it up yesterday, causing me to reboot.
Some dead pixels which can be replaced.

I really don't know. I love my MacBook, but I'm second guessing it.

PS: I know on a PC I'll have tuns of problems but atleast I'm expecting those and know how to get around those; now on a Mac I'm less experienced and it advertises no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
If it's a few months old, take it to ta Apple Store and have them look it over. They are normally pretty good at getting you a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You sound like you may have a lemon. They do run hot. Try smcFanControl for that. I would not put up with the dead pixels if you bought it new and paid full price. I have not been asked for my wireless info since the day I fired this thing up. Something is fishy there - it may be your wireless or it may not be. I don't use my bluetooth much at all so I am not going to be too much help there. Take it in - too many things going on to be normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Doesn't sound like he's got a lemon. He's got a lemon. I use bluetooth heavily with an external keyboard, mouse and my phone (not an iPhone, but a bluetooth capable phone; just don't use the bluetooth with both the keyboard/mouse; bandwidth gets sucked up by that's understandable.) Otherwise it works flawlessly. Same with WiFi. My Macbook remembers my network, my brother-in-law's network, internet café networks I've been to and the like without having to re-enter the password. Mine doesn't run hot (well, except for YouTube video for some reason.) Oh, sure I've gotten the odd kernel panic and a few freeze ups here and there, but I've had this thing for two years now and that is actually to be sort of expected. You've got a hinky computer.

Take it to Apple. They'll fix it. I've had mine (and my wife's) fixed for various problems several times already but they've always made things right. Notebook computers live a hard life and I understand that, but your issues should be addressable.

Reaction score
Fresh Install or take it to the nearest Apple Store.

You know those problems aren't normal and should do something about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Yep, have apple look at it. They are very good with understanding, shoot, they might just hand you a new computer. I took mine in last week because it had a chip in the plastic. I walked out with a brand new wall charger, a brand new battery, and a new keyboard, trackpad, and all white plastics for free.

Reaction score
As long as it is within the warranty period, I don't see why you can't get a brand new computer for free.

My motherboard was fried a week after I got my Macbook, so they exchanged a new one for me. It has been working fine ever since then.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as it is within the warranty period, I don't see why you can't get a brand new computer for free.

My motherboard was fried a week after I got my Macbook, so they exchanged a new one for me. It has been working fine ever since then.

I bought it two months ago.

The next time I'm going to an Apple store is in Florida. I bought it here in Canada. Can I schedule an appointement with the Genius Bar or wherever in Florida? And how long should I expect this to take? I don't want to be without my laptop for the whole time in Florida (12 days)

Reaction score

The next time I'm going to an Apple store is in Florida. I bought it here in Canada. Can I schedule an appointement with the Genius Bar or wherever in Florida? And how long should I expect this to take? I don't want to be without my laptop for the whole time in Florida (12 days)

I am not sure if you can take a Mac you bought in Canada and have them fix it in America. However, I can tell you that Apple fixes problems really quickly. As I mentioned above, my motherboard was fried back then when I bought my Macbook. They told me that I'd be without my Macbook for seven working days, but they called me less than two days after I sent it in for repairs. I remember it was a Wednesday afternoon when I sent it in, and they called me on Friday to collect it.

I suppose it still comes down to the extent of the damage. If it is a full replacement, I don't expect it to take too long actually.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Yep. Just go out to Apple's website and find the store you'll be nearest to. Then you can schedule your appointment for whatever date and time you wish.

As far as time goes - I'd imagine that you can make arrangements for the repair at a later time. The important thing is getting some or all of the issues addressed and troubleshot.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. Thanks a lot everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) Laptops do run really really hot. That's why they're now called notebooks as they're too hot to go on your lap.

2.) There are two parts to any wi-fi/wired connection - the machine and the router. Before blaming the Mac, investigate the router. Is your password WEP/WPA? Have you tried switching between them? Have you selected the right protocol in OS X in the first place? Is your router's firmware up to date? Have you tried resetting it back to factory settings? etc. etc.

Reaction score
Atleast twice a week i open up the screen and it tells me that I need to re-enter the wifi password. ***??? Its annoying since its like 40 keys long.

Is it possible that you are using two different wifi routers with the same SSID? If you have an encrypted router at home and visit hot spots with no password required and they have the same SSID (for example, the default: linksys, belkin, etc.) you could run into that problem. My advice is to change the SSID on the router that you have control over.

Reaction score
Sorry, what is a lemon? What temperature does my Macbook should be running at?

A lemon is kinda like the faulty product along the assembly line. Every once in a while you get a product that just isn't working right. You can't expect all of them to be made to perfection anyway. So there, a lemon.

Reaction score
Thanks, and what is a normal temperature for my MacBook? From time to time the fans start working really hard and low, but since it is my first macbook, i have nothing to compare it against.

Reaction score
Well I don't know, but I suppose it is running too hot when you can hear the fan while typing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, and what is a normal temperature for my MacBook? From time to time the fans start working really hard and low, but since it is my first macbook, i have nothing to compare it against.

The temperatures will vary depending on your activities on the machine and the load placed upon it. The fans are thermostatically controlled and will kick on as needed.

Providing that you keep your machine on a flat surface (i.e. not your lap - and if you need to do so, purchase a laptop cooling pad) and that the intake vents are kept free of accumulated dust and debris, it's really not something you'll have to worry about. All modern computers have fail safes that will shut the machine down in the event of overheating.

So, in short, use your machine as you want and don't worry about the temps.

Reaction score
I'm asking because i more or less i do the same on my macbook than i do on my ThinkPad (XP), and the macbook is much more hot and noisy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm asking because i more or less i do the same on my macbook than i do on my ThinkPad (XP), and the macbook is much more hot and noisy.

That really shouldn't be. Is it under warranty?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.