• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting a .swf to .mov in Flash cs3 OR importing a .swf in to FCPro 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X v10.4.11 - 2.4 Intel - 2 GB
** Final Cut Pro 6, sorry! **

All right, so I'm making an interview video and I made some accompanying animations in Flash to add some more interesting visual aspects and give it some structure.

Unfortunately, Final Cut Pro says that the .swf file types are unrecognized/unaccepted/denied. So I decided to try publishing the .swf files as Quicktime movie files with a flash track (by editing publish settings in Flash). ...didn't work, even when I changed the .swf file settings to Flash Player 4 so that the option could still be used. So I tried exporting as a Quicktime movie and became rather frustrated to find that the progress bar labeled "Recording Flash Content" fills up and then.... stays filled up indefinitely. And does not produce any file. I messed with some of the settings, but nothing's been working. Finally, I tried using Quicktime 7.4.5 to open the files and change them, but Quicktime will not open my .swfs.

I've also made some .GIFs and those don't seem to be working, either. I get very strange .GIFs from my simple, 2 second animation.

Can someone please help me either find a way to import .swf files into Final Cut or export .swf files into .mov files? I'm so lost and upset!

Thank you for any input or help.

P.S. - I also have access to cs4, so if anyone knows if cs4's export to Quicktime option is easier to deal with... then that's another option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger
All right, so I'm making an interview video and I made some accompanying animations in Flash to add some more interesting visual aspects and give it some structure.

Unfortunately, Final Cut Pro says that the .swf file types are unrecognized/unaccepted/denied. So I decided to try publishing the .swf files as Quicktime movie files with a flash track (by editing publish settings in Flash). ...didn't work, even when I changed the .swf file settings to Flash Player 4 so that the option could still be used. So I tried exporting as a Quicktime movie and became rather frustrated to find that the progress bar labeled "Recording Flash Content" fills up and then.... stays filled up indefinitely. And does not produce any file. I messed with some of the settings, but nothing's been working. Finally, I tried using Quicktime 7.4.5 to open the files and change them, but Quicktime will not open my .swfs.

I've also made some .GIFs and those don't seem to be working, either. I get very strange .GIFs from my simple, 2 second animation.

Can someone please help me either find a way to import .swf files into Final Cut or export .swf files into .mov files? I'm so lost and upset!

Thank you for any input or help.

P.S. - I also have access to cs4, so if anyone knows if cs4's export to Quicktime option is easier to deal with... then that's another option!

You need to use something like the now defunct VisualHub. I haven't checked the status in a while, but it was converted to an open source project called FilmRedux which you can get on SourceForge.net: Open Source Software. It may not be working yet and you'll need xcode loaded to be able to build it. VisualHub used to be able to take almost any format video and convert it to almost any format. Other options are MpegStreamClip, Realbeans, etc.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X v10.4.11 - 2.4 Intel - 2 GB
MpegStreamclip won't open .swfs... :/ and I couldn't find Film Redux anywhere. And all the (free) links on the site were for Windows... bah!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.