someone in my shared folder?? please help

Reaction score
I really need your help here..I moved from xp to mac recently and got my new mac which i 've been using for the last few weeks. I've wireless connection at home... i noticed in my Finder on the left side a Shared folder and someone called Thompson who has a PC .. What does that mean??...is he using my wireless.. i've a secured network??..can that be overcome on a mac laptop...??
is he able to hack/ view my files?? I am worried about this intrusion...

Can you help me identify what this means and what are the consequences and how to rectify it..??

Thank you

joe

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Give us a picture.

It may be that what you're seeing is his unsecured network.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably OK, it's the guy named Thompson who may be at risk. He more than likely has sharing turned on in his PC, perhaps for a home network. If you go to Network preferences in System Preferences and bring up Airport settings, you can tell if he's broadcasting in the clear or not. He may be a neighbor close by. It's common especially if you live in an apartment complex or close housing.

As long as you're using a secure wireless connection you should be fairly safe. Make certain you're using strong encryption for your wireless connection - not WEP. Preferably use WPA2 with a strong pass phrase\password. And make sure your firewall is turned on.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, if you're using a BT HomeHub you'll see this

or this

because the HomeHub is actually a Thompson router.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The router is a "Thomson" not a "Thompson" - note the difference in spelling. The OP stated someone called "Thompson" who has a PC....

He's probably seeing an unsecured network in his neighborhood with sharing turned on.

Regards.

Reaction score
but this means that joe77 is connected to a neighborhood network instead of his own, should be easy to verify

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.