What do I need to buy to make this work?

Reaction score
I have an ipod shuffle:

apple_ipod_shuffle-04.jpg

and a "iTrip Auto Universal Plus" which is a device that allows me to play my ipod through my car:

itripautouniversalplus_1.jpg

You see the slot on the device that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter? It is supposed to allow me to charge my ipod. The problem is is that the stupid cord to the left of it, prevents me from plugging my ipod shuffle in. I need some sort of extension cable. But I don't know what its called or where I can buy it. I went to walmart and radio shack but neither of them had the part (or knew what it was called). Can you guys help me?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would be a USB cable.

Female that plugs into the shuffle.

And based on the picture of the iTrip, am not really sure what connection that is. However, Griffin does say to use whatever USB charging cable came with your device.

OP
M
Reaction score
That would be a USB cable.

Female that plugs into the shuffle.

And based on the picture of the iTrip, am not really sure what connection that is. However, Griffin does say to use whatever USB charging cable came with your device.

So I need a male to female usb? As for the device that came with my ipod, I don't remember one ever coming with it and if it did then I don't have it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since I can't really tell what the iTrip looks like, carry it into Radio Shack with you and make sure the cable fits it. The other end would just be a standard female USB end to fit on the shuffle.

Here's a pic of a male (on the left) and female (on the right).

Reaction score
the shuffle doesn't plug directly into a USB port like the other iPod models -- it only does so through it's dock. And the shuffle plugs into its dock through its headphone jack. Sooooo -- you won't be able to listen to and charge the shuffle with this universal adapter. You can do one or the other -- and to charge you'll actually need to plug the shuffle's dock into the USB port of the universal gizmo, and then plug the shuffle into its dock (unless someone makes a special adapter).

OP
M
Reaction score
the shuffle doesn't plug directly into a USB port like the other iPod models -- it only does so through it's dock. And the shuffle plugs into its dock through its headphone jack. Sooooo -- you won't be able to listen to and charge the shuffle with this universal adapter. You can do one or the other -- and to charge you'll actually need to plug the shuffle's dock into the USB port of the universal gizmo, and then plug the shuffle into its dock (unless someone makes a special adapter).

Aww man, that really sucks! Because the car really drains my ipod. Normally I can listen to my ipod for 10 hours or so on a charge but when it plays through the car, the battery dies after 30 minutes.

Reaction score
How to do you listen to it in the car? Shouldn't be any significant difference in battery life, unless in the car the iPod is being used to power an FM transmitter or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.