iBook AirPort Wireless Issue

K

knivesout

Hi all,

I just got my 12" iBook G4 this week and went about upgrading the memory. In order to do so you must remove the AirPort wireless card and replace it when finished.

Well, after getting the iBook all back together I've had horrible wireless reception with the AirPort card. I can only see a single AP now instead of 8 before, and I can't connect to my AP outside of that room anymore. I check to make sure that the card is seated and the antenna connection is good to card and everything seems to be okay.

Anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong here? I'm hoping I haven't broken it in the first week! :eek:neye: I'd really appreciate any help.

KnivesOut

OP
J

Jordan

Sorry to hear about that mate. I will be adding RAM to mine in a weeks time. I hope you get the answers you need so I can watch out for the problem.

Did you pinch the wire connecting to the Airport card by any chance while installing the RAM?

Good luck.

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
check the antenna again, if it has a smalll kink or is even a little bent, itll mess up the reception.

OP
C

crisrose

Don't fret Phiber, i've had my airport card out about 6 times because i had duff RAM first time round - i've got excellent airport reception

Just make sure you actually push it back on properly!

OP
K

knivesout

Jordan said:
Did you pinch the wire connecting to the Airport card by any chance while installing the RAM?
Not that I can tell... The wire seems to be fed through the RAM cover just as it was when I got it. I just gave it another check and the wire seems fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I had the same problem after I upped my memory in my iBook. I booted up my machine with the keyboard off. I kept movinthe wire around till my reception came back. Also push the connector from the antenna wire into the airport card. When I put in my airport card the first time I guess i didn't have it in all the way. Works fine now. Hope this works for ya.

OP
K

knivesout

fyrman22 said:
I had the same problem after I upped my memory in my iBook. I booted up my machine with the keyboard off. I kept movinthe wire around till my reception came back. Also push the connector from the antenna wire into the airport card. When I put in my airport card the first time I guess i didn't have it in all the way. Works fine now. Hope this works for ya.
How far does it go in? I see about 2 centimeters of the cylindrical part of the connector....

EDIT: I just fixed it!!! Just had to push the connector in to the cube-like base of the connector. Apparently I'm a moron. Thanks to you all for the advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
off-topic, but knivesout, is that a reference to Radiohead? If so, awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.