Help with PowerBook G4

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been searching around and can't find exactly the answer to my question and I've tried everything I can think of. I have an old PowerBook G4, which I love (or loved) and it has everything on it. But, it's gotten to the point where it crashes all the time. Sometimes it crashes during startup. Sometimes it will run for a few mins, then crash. When I say crash I mean freeze up. I've run disk utility on it, hooked it up to a MacBook and run it from there using the G4 as a target drive etc. Anyone got any ideas? The details are:

Silver PowerBook G4
Mac OS X
Version 10.4.11
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
512 MB DDR SDRAM
17.93 GB space available on HD

I really need to get it up and running because frequently my wife and I fight over who "needs" the MacBook more at the same moment in time. Besides, until this it was running great and has lots of stuff on it I want to save.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Why don't you just back up all of your important information to the MacBook and just do a clean install.

OP
A
Reaction score
How would I do that? Sounds like a fresh start would work, but I'm afraid to lose stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
If you have run disk utility and repaired permissions without a problem, I would run Time Machine and then wipe the drive and reinstall your OS. Otherwise, the cycle will only continue and where does that get you? An appointment at a Genius Bar is the next step and that may result in a repair bill.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.