Highest OS for my early ibook ?

Reaction score
I just inherited an early 12" ibook ( dual usb, G3, 500MHz, 500mb memory) and I wonder what is the highest operating system it can run? It has 10.0.4 which isn't very satisfying. It looks like I need at least 10.1 to use a decent browser, but as this is my first Mac I'm really pretty clueless as to what operating system line I need to cross to make the machine more usable. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

It will run up to Tiger OS X.4.11, however you would need a DVD reader for the install as CDs for Tiger are very scarce. If your machine only has a CD reader, then Panther up to X.3.9. The OS you install will contain Safari, but also try Firefox as many users find it faster.

Do not try to use Internet Explorer as Mac support finished years ago in version 5.2. Most secure sites, such as financial institutions, wiill not look at that old a browser.

Here are the specs for your machine:-

Apple iBook G3/500 (Dual USB - Tr) Specs (iBook - Dual USB - M7698LL/A*) @ EveryMac.com

Look for a second hand black full install disc set on sites such as eBay etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.