Problem with Windows installation

Reaction score
Looking for any advice I can get here.. recently bought Windows XP Professional OEM version with SP2. I'm running an Intel Mac with OS 10.5.5, and using bootcamp to create the partition and install.

When I go to install Windows, I get to the point where I choose the partition.. that works fine, I choose the C:[BOOTCAMP] one, then press enter, and it goes straight onto installing files without asking me how to format the drive (NTFS or FAT32). So I end up with a non-bootable partition (with Windows files all happily installed) formatted as FAT32, which seems no use to me at all.

I also don't get any questions in setup about agreeing to a license or having to entre my product key.

Any advice? Is there a reason why this copy of Windows behaves like this? Is there any way around - another means of formatting the drive as NTFS, or a way of using FAT32??

Help - and thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When choosing the Boot Camp partition - instead of pressing enter, just highlight the partition with the blue highlight bar. Then select the format you want - NTFS or FAT-32. If you press enter Windows will assume the pre-format of FAT-32 is OK and will start to install its files.

BTW, why did you buy the Pro version? Unless you intend to join a domain or use its ability to encrypt files, it's a waste of money.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll try this tonight once I'm at home. Can you confirm what you mean by 'just highlight' with the blue bar - I move the bar up and down with the arrow keys; how do I 'select' without pressing enter?

Bought the Pro version just because it was there (eBay), and being sold locally (Australia). No good reason, I guess. The price was OK. I hope I haven't bought a piece of junk though.

Thanks heaps for your advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

It would be easier to see if you view it for yourself. Refer to page 10 of the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide.pdf.

Nothing wrong with XP Pro, but for most folks it's overkill - also more expensive than the Home version.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm doing everything as stated in the Installation & Setup Guide.

I come to a page identical to that on page 11 of the Guide: white text on blue background, old dos-style font, 'The following list shows the existing partitions..."

I move the white highlight down to select

C: Partition 3 <BOOTCAMP>[FAT32] ...

I then press <enter> and I go straight to installing files. Is there another way to 'select' this option, as you've suggested above? Or is there something about my copy of Windows XP?

Still searching for answers!! appreciate the help but I'm not there yet.. or missing something really obvious.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as foot bridge. TRying to install XP Pro with SP2 on a 20inch imac with Leopard 10.5.6, I dont get the option of selecting NTFS or FAT Format partition screen as shown on my page 10 of Bootcamp instructions? How can I tell if i have a 32 or 64 bit version of XP Pro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're not getting the correct partition formatting screen that is shown on page 10 of the guide, your version of XP is suspect. By suspect I mean that your version of XP may not be compatible to use with Boot Camp.

As far as telling whether or not the version is 64 bit, you can tell by the price you paid for it. Also, the Microsoft disk is plainly marked as such - at least the boxed version is.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.