Broken disk drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
hi i have a problem with my disk drive when ever i put a disk in it it takes it then somtimes make strange noises then just pushes it back out
anyone no wats happening here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Could be a dirty lens, if the laptop doesn't recognize a disc it will usually spit it out. The strange noises you hear are likely the motor moving the laser back and forth trying to analyze the disc.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
how much do u think it would cost to get that fixed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try cleaning the lens first. You can buy a lens cleaning disk at most stores that sell media (Radio Shack) for around $10 or so. If that doesn't work the drive may need to be replaced. To have Apple repair it out of warranty will probably be a bit expensive.

You can get an idea of cost by going here.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am giving it to a mac repairman soon he is fixing my broken screen should i just have him look at it or try the lens cleaning disk first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.