Please Help!! Is there somethin wrong with my PB???

K

kissmyarse

okay well i have a 1ghz al 15inch powerbook ..which runs pretty much everything ...i have 512 mb ram (which im thinkin of uprading)...now coming to the problem: so wwhenever i try and play a game..after about 15-20 mins the powerbook screen dims n then is that i should keep the power buttin pressed or the restart button(basically it "hangs")Its happened to me while playing oni,unreal tournament and XIII(thirteen)....is this normal???? Please tell me or ill go complain to the apple store i bought it from.....ive had it for about 9 months n have had sooo many problems ....that im reallly pissed off with them.......APPLE SHOULD SERIOUSLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IN INDIIA!!!!!!!!! PLEASE ATLEAST MAKE AN EFFORT :mad: :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
sounds like you dont have enough ram to run these games problem free. how much video memry do you have? it also might not be enough. when you say the screen dims, does it dim like it does when you dont use it for a few minutes?

OP
K

kissmyarse

no it dims like u know have you ever had a kernel panic on your mac....its just like that ..i have 64 mb video ram...

The one u get with the powerbook alluminiun....can u change this on a laptop..if yes how.??? if not then wat should i do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it's not a lack of RAM or video RAM, that shouldn't cause a kernel panic! The game would run slowly if your ram wasn't enough - but it wouldn't lock up completely!

Did you buy 3rd party RAM or did you get apple's ram?
If your ram is faulty, it could be causing the problems...

Run the hardware check cd to see if your ram is causing the problems.

Or take out the ram and see if you still get the kernel panic (dimmed screen).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
As this is happening when you are running intensive games, (you don't mention 20 mins into an application etc), I would say that there could be an overheating problem that is causing the lockup 20 mins into each game.

It is a heat problem related to graphics core or processor. It could be RAM but you would get lockups frequently with incompatible RAM (unless you are? )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
jessica said:
what is kernal panic (newbie here).

I have been on Mac's for 18 months now and haven't had a single kernal panic. It is a pretty rare occurrence unless you have hardware problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.