Really tired of my varying internet speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
So we have 4 desktops attached to the internet and 1 laptop. When I'm on one of my desktops and I do a speed test, I get amazing results like 7mb/s and really good stuff like that. Thats on a normal day. Then I go to download something, like from Steam (a game) or some other well known source and I've never hit 1mb/s. Whats wrong here!!! We pay for the "high speed" internet but here on my MB I'm going like 100kb/s.

From what I know, our setup goes like this: Internet from wall into router, to wireless router, to hub, to computers. Whenever we restart the internet (once every two weeks because it goes slow) I need to unplug these 3 things.

So what can I do???

EDIT: Just did the speed test on my MacBook from here on wifi. It says I'm downloading at 6000kbps and uploading at 500kbps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
the problem is that although you are capable of downloading at speeds of 6-7 mb/s, the person you are downloading from, e.g steam, can only upload to you at a maximum speed of 100kbps or some such. So the problem is with their upload speed not your download speed. Hopefully, in the future, upload bandwith will become cheaper and we will be able to take better advantage of our fast internet speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also another variant is how busy the site actually is at the time of the upload. Noted early morning is the best time, after 5pm the worst.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.