How do I completely reset my Macbook?

Reaction score
I want it to be as if it just came out of the box, new. Everything I downloaded, gone. Perfectly new (not physically, of course). I have everything it was shipped with. Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Use the installation discs that came with your mac and choose erase and install instead of archive and install

OP
I
Reaction score
So I insert the disc, go to disc utility>Mac OS X Install Disc 1>Erase? Because the erase option isn't clickable..

Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about computers..

When I first inserted the discs, it came up with 4 options:
-Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software
-Install Bundled Software only
-Optional Installs
-Instructions

So.. yeah.. What do I do?

OP
I
Reaction score
hello? anyone?

I really want my music, pictures, downloaded programs, etc gone.. please help. :\

Reaction score
So I insert the disc, go to disc utility>Mac OS X Install Disc 1>Erase? Because the erase option isn't clickable..

Of course "erase" is not an option - you can't erase the "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" :D

Choose your hard drive, then erase - for added security, choose "Security Options" before you erase.

Then do the system restore of the OS and additional software. Once finished, the system will boot to the "welcome" screen. Press the power button until the system shuts down and you're done...

Unless you want to be nice and bring the system up to date completely. If you want to do this, simply go through the set up screens (you can skip the registration step by hitting command-q and selecting "skip") and create a dummy account. Now run software update and repair permissions until the system is completely up to date, then follow the steps detailed in the following thread to delete the dummy account and restore the system to a more "factory" state where the next person to boot the machine will be greeted by the "welcome" movie and setup screens:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/132646-wiping-hard-drive.html#post767230

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.