VWMware Fusion:- Vista or XP for my uses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Penryn) 2.8ghz 4GbRam 500GbHDD
I've decided that I need windows for some work compatibility reasons. I've bought VMWare Fusion2 and intend to run Windows using that.

I have a 2.8Ghz iMac with 4gb Ram and a 500gb HDD.

Purposes I need Windows for:-

1/ Not Games, I never play games.

2/ I will need to run some bespoke/custom MS Office 2007 macros/scripts that need to play nicely with dedicated PCs (Vista & XP).

3/ I regularly have to transfer some large backup files (sometimes 40+gb) from NTFS formatted external HDDs to a linux server for offsite archival storage. Also download large files from the Linux based servers to NTFS USB external HDDs for restoring.

4/ The ability to see how software I write will work in Windows environment.

5/ Odd MSN Messenger "Ask for Assistance" requests from family members who don't have RDP (XP Home or Vista Home Premium)
I think I'd prefer to install Vista, but is there a real performance hit in non-gaming situations?

6/ General family assistance with Windows related problems.

Does Vista or XP sound the sensible solution here?

Thanks,

Mark.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
XP has a much smaller footprint overall and should be less expensive. Unless you need to play DX10 games, I see no compelling reason to go with Vista.

OP
Guru Meditation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Penryn) 2.8ghz 4GbRam 500GbHDD
XP has a much smaller footprint overall and should be less expensive. Unless you need to play DX10 games, I see no compelling reason to go with Vista.

OK, smaller footprint is good, as is less money. I was thinking that if performance wasn't too much of a problem keeping as current as possible might have been sensible.

Thanks,

Mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with oodles of memory
I run XP and find it all that I would ever need. I have never attempted to do any task that XP would not handle. Only you can decide if you want or need Vista.

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
I would also recommend going with XP

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend XP. The only reason I would use Vista is if it's already pre-installed onto a PC. XP is extremely quick on VMware and Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
To be honest I have both running as I need them both for work. Although you can allocate a set ammount of space the VM image is only the size of the data you have put in, so if you have the hdd space go for both and see which one you end up using more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.