noises coming from the back...

Reaction score
For the most part it is the usual "thinking" noises. But a bit lately they have been louder and it is just worrying me a bit. anything I should do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
First of all, give us all the details of your "iMac".

OP
J
Reaction score
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2gb of ram.

500gb of memory....

what else do you need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The "back" of your model of iMac is really the body (chassis) where both the hard and optical drives are, but exactly where is more to the point. See this link Intel imac core duo 20 inch (pics 31-33) for a diagram of how your iMac looks inside.

Is your iMac put to heavy use, and do you leave it going all the time (some people do)? I suspect the hard drive, and the "louder thinking noise" may be an indication that it's starting to fail. Time to backup your important files and then run a hardware test from Disk Utility. If nothing is found to be wrong, it may be that you need to get used to a slightly noisy hard drive, but just be vigilant for any signs that things aren't working as they should..

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm a graphic designer. So I use it quite a lot. But I don't leave it on overnight and i have it to where it turns off after 1.5 hours. But if i really had to guess where to guess the noise was coming from.....

....and well. i found out where the noise is coming from. Not the computer at all. It is the speaker system I have hooked up to it..the Sub is starting to go out.

Blah. That is such a relief. I was scared my Mac was going to start going down hill.

but seriously. Thanks for helping. I'm Pretty sure ill run into something weird again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.