low mAh battery & random shutdown

Reaction score
I'm running a macbook pro with tiger, about one and a half years old... a couple weeks ago I experienced the random shutdown which I believe resulted from overheating, earlier this week it happened again. Both times I was running on battery power using only basic programs (firefox, mail, adium) with the computer on a wooden desk. Needless to say I was shocked that the computer got so hot although it only was hot on the bottom. On top of this I have noticed extremely short battery life the last few days. I've been in the library studying for finals and I only get an hour or so max before I have to recharge. Once again this is using only basic applications. After doing some research on this forum I checked the full charge capacity, a whopping 1717 mAh. The battery only has 73 cycles on it so I don't see why it should be so low already. Is there any chance the random shutdown and the battery life issue are related? I'd like to hear what you think and where I should proceed from here. thanks.

Reaction score
Hi there
I have the same problem. You can use the program coconutbattery
coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.3] to monitor this stuff.

My mac is about 18 months old. My original battery has about 1300MaH left.

But yeah, it switches off randomly when I'm using the battery power.

I bought a new battery from ebay since my warranty is expired and the same thing happens! So it must not be battery related I would think..

I'm guessing the last resort is to take it to an apple repairer which I shall be doing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.