Leopard DVD files do not appear in windows (for driver install)

Reaction score
I am new to forum. I previously posted this incorrectly in the OS X forum and am re-posting here (I hope that's ok). I also hope it appropriate to start new thread for topic that was closed. I am having same problem as discussed in a previous post (but that poster did not have a legit copy of OS X install disks).

So, here is description of the problem.

I have installed Win XP on my MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Core Duo and am trying to install apple boot camp drivers from my purchased copy of OS X. I am at the windows desktop, have inserted the leopard disc to install drivers (tried both disc 1 and 2), and windows does not recognize the mac disc. It says the drive is empty, it is 0kb of 0kb, I cannot explore the drive, I cannot do anything. If I open it it is blank. I cannot access the internet in any way on windows either because there are no corresponding drivers or because I can't figure out how to access my home wireless (time capsule), and am unsure which problem to solve first.

Ideas?

A possible solution for others:

If you have mediafour's drive installed, see this article for solution.

Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Can't mount the Leopard DVD to upgrade Apple drivers in Windows

I checked this out but apparently don't have a mediafour drive b/c right-clicking does not get me to options suggested by the article.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have installed Win XP on my MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Core Duo and am trying to install apple boot camp drivers from my purchased copy of OS X. I am at the windows desktop, have inserted the leopard disc to install drivers (tried both disc 1 and 2), and windows does not recognize the mac disc. It says the drive is empty, it is 0kb of 0kb, I cannot explore the drive, I cannot do anything. If I open it it is blank. I cannot access the internet in any way on windows either because there are no corresponding drivers or because I can't figure out how to access my home wireless (time capsule), and am unsure which problem to solve first.

Assuming you have installed a copy of XP that will work with Boot Camp (You did find out first which type of XP install disk to use?), the drivers should load automatically when you insert the Leopard DVD.

However, it appears that your Leopard disks are not recognized by XP when they're inserted. That leads me to think that either Windows did not install correctly, or the disk you used to install Windows is not a proper disk.

If you're sure the XP disk is OK, go back to OS X and use the Boot Camp assistant to remove (use the restore function) the Windows partition. Start over by creating another BC partition and re-install XP. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
XP Service Pack 2

Thank you for the reply.

I used XP Service Pack 2. Is there something more than needs to be learned before installing XP?

I will try to find answer myself through forum, etc. but boot camp instructions simply instruct that we need Win XP home or professional edition with service pack 2 or later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for the reply.

I used XP Service Pack 2. Is there something more than needs to be learned before installing XP?

I will try to find answer myself through forum, etc. but boot camp instructions simply instruct that we need Win XP home or professional edition with service pack 2 or later.

The Boot Camp instructions say more than that..... It specifically states that the version of XP SP2 must be a full install version not upgrade. Nor can you use an OEM branded version nor a recovery version. Either a MS boxed full install version of XP Home or Pro SP2, or a system builders OEM full install version of XP Home or Pro SP2 will work.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.