Issues with PowerBook G4 12" - Installing any OS.

Reaction score
Ok, so i got myself a decent deal on a used powerbook so i went for it.

But problems arouse the momment i got home. The machine was running Tiger dont know which version. I tried software update, downloaded the 10.4.11 patch but couldn't install it. Had little time so i just left it there.

Today i powered it on, tried logging to msn, wouldnt work. Downloaded adium, couldn't even mount it. Tried running o couple more programs but none of them would even launch, all giving me weird error messages.

Time for an erase and install i thought. Bad call.

Boot up on Tiger discs, failed the installation. Tried a couple more times with similar ressults.

Ok, so maybe tiger discs are bad or scratched. I was currently without any SO, so i went for Panther, with the discs that origginaly came with the machine (10.3.4). Same issues during the installation. Something with the asian language, but afterwards i got a different error on the log.

After talking with a friend i managed to get a Leopard disc, just to see if i could actually install anything on the poor powerbook. Failed again. Im trying again as i type this but im now hopeless.

I also tried to do the Target Disk thingy, between my alu iMac and the powerbook. It didn't even show on the desktop, but as i have no other firewire device i cannot tell if is the cable or the firewire port that is not working propperly.

Could it be a HD problem? Haven't tried the hardware test yet.

Any info on what should i check or try next? Or what to do? Its out of warranty btw, but the machine works afaik.

PS: As my sig says, its a PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz 768ram.

OP
Santino
Reaction score
Pic

Well, failed again. I must admit, even bad news look good on a mac :p

PS: i forgot to mention, i got a kernel panic at one point, before everything started to go wrong. Did a restart and everything was back on ok.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like an Optical issue with the CD/DVD drive.

I looked at that pic, are you letting it validate the Tiger/Panther CD? If so about the validation and see if it will install.

The part about some applications not installing does not sound good though.

OP
Santino
Reaction score
It sounds like an Optical issue with the CD/DVD drive.

I looked at that pic, are you letting it validate the Tiger/Panther CD? If so about the validation and see if it will install.

The part about some applications not installing does not sound good though.

Thanks for the reply.

the screen is from Leopard. First time i skiped the validation, sceond time i let it be and the result was the same.

I've been doing some extensive searh over the web and it seems it could be a problem with the ram. Which explains also why some applications where closing randomly or not even opening at all. Unfortunately, its almost 10pm here so no toolshop open to get 00 philips screwdrive i need to open the ram compartment. They say swapping the sticks or taking one out a time could solve the problem.

Im doing an AHT with the Panther disk that originally came with the machine atm, gonna check back with the results.

Thanks again for the imput.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do let us know the results of the AHT and be sure to run the Extended test as it is more likely to find an error. It really does sound like RAM with the KP and things not wanting to install.

OP
Santino
Reaction score
Good (?) news, seems to be the ram thats not working properly. As expected the AHT failed within the Memory test.

Leopard won't install with 256 memory? :p Panther or Tiger?

Could the bad memory stick be messing with the Target Disk mode also? Just to kill two birds with one shot.

EDIT: forgot the picture: Pic 2

Is there anything in particular about that error code?

OP
Santino
Reaction score
Ok, as a closing post, everything is up and running now. Managed to open the memory thingy, extract the 512 ram that was messing with my sistem and got to install Panther flawlessly. Tomorrow i'll be buying a 1 gig stick so to get leopard on this baby.

Its been so long since i last used Panther that i didn't remember all the features that where missing. Well, i think i can cope with it until tomorrow, still a rock solid OS.

See ya soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.