ibook vs. powerbook!

U

urkovs

i'm trying to decide which to get.. not for movie editing or anything, just for college and recreational use.. maybe playing movies on or going online.. which do you prefer? i'm looking at the ibook 14" right now but anyone have a major problem? or think that the powerbook is SO much better?

OP
N

NightWolf0829

Well, sounds like an iBook to me. The powerbook would be nicer for video editing and such, but my i would not trade my g3 iBook for anything. Just be shore not to get the Ti, they seem to have many problems with the casing+wireless. If you wanted that option i would look into powerbooks deeper, but if its college only, iBook is the way to go. Internet, Aim, Itunes, Movies etc. Thats what the iBooks is made for!
Good Luck deciding!
P.S. It may come down the small specs, Ram video options etc.

Cheers, Justin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well, I have the 12" iBook, and I absolutley love the weight and "compactness." I would have gone for the 14" if it was going to be my main computer, but I have a G5 with 23" Display at home :mac:

Anyways, to answer your question, as of right now, the powerbooks are in severe need of an update..I mean the 14" price:features ratio FAR exceeds that of the 12" Powerbook...I'll be able to further answer your question when they update the powerbooks within the next 10 days.

OP
C

crisrose

i had the same question - i do a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator work.

Firsty, the 1.2 GHz processor is actually quite speedy at these things - same as my 2.6 GHz Athlon PC.

Secondly, if you drop a Gb of memory in it, you will outperform the 1.33 powerbook for a lower price. If you drop in 512mb it will be a lot cheaper, and you'll probably still get better performances with a 1.2+768mb than a 1.33+256mb

Thirdly, if you want to screen span, use the screen spanning doctor.

Other than the aluminium case, i see no other reason to spend the extra money on the powerbook.

Unless you want the 15 inch one with higher screen size and resolution - but that's a lot more money.

Either get the 12" iBook and stick 512mb or 1Gb RAM in it, or spend a lot more and get the 15" Powerbook (and stick 256mb in it at least!)

Hope this helps.

PS. the reason i say the 12" and not the 14", is that apart from the 130mhz difference, and the 2" screen size, everything is the same. The screen resolution is the same, so you can't see any more on the 14", and it weighs more!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.