New MacBook ends in tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm new to Macs, but a long time Unix/ Linux/ Windoze user and programmer.

We have bought our daughter a new MacBook (MB466X/A). When it arrived yesterday she powered it up, configured it and was using it for several hours (power plugged in, battery is charged).

Today she switched it on and it goes to the Start up screen. The loading icon just sits there and nothing happens. The thing never loads the desktop.

We've done all the testing described in the hand book. The Hardware test says all is OK.

So, here we are. My daughter in tears, me wanting to say "I told you so" but feeling too sad for her and biting my tongue. Given the Apple hype, it is very disappointing.

I am hoping some of you here can help, but I sense we are going to have the thing back.

TIA.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nevermind. I think the thing is stuffed. It won't even load the OS install disk. Same symptom; apple splash screen powers up and then the little spinning wheel does its thing as long as you like.

My suspicions about Apple and Macs are confirmed. And I am not looking forward to having to deal with the "Apple Shop" :[

For $2k (AU), it's left a very bitter taste.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take it back. If you're going to an 'Apple' owned store, shouldn't be any issue. They'll likely give you a new one.

You have had nothing confirmed. A piece of electronics from any manufacturer you could possibly name is likely to have something go wrong on occasion, either due to mishandling during shipping or otherwise. I've had to return a $4,000 Sony TV that quit after 2 days. Worked for Dell doing Tech support and dealt with a whole bunch of new machines that had issues. The hardware inside is the same hardware used in Windows machines.

There are quite a few Microsoft certified and long time Windows users that have switched around here that would beg to differ with you. Myself being one.

Having said that, a Mac is not for everyone. Not willing to learn something new and ready for a change, best advice is to take it back and go get a Windows machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Take it back. If you're going to an 'Apple' owned store, shouldn't be any issue. They'll likely give you a new one.

Yea.

You have had nothing confirmed. A piece of electronics from any manufacturer you could possibly name is likely to have something go wrong on occasion, either due to mishandling during shipping or otherwise. I've had to return a $4,000 Sony TV that quit after 2 days. Worked for Dell doing Tech support and dealt with a whole bunch of new machines that had issues.

If it were me, I wouldn't be buying Sony again ;)

Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate. I just feel for my daughter who really had her heart set on this for Christmas. It took us two weeks to get the thing delivered so I doubt we'll have a replacement by Christmas (we live in country Australia).

What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour. With the macbook I can't. Not yet, anyway.

Cheers and all the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yea.

If it were me, I wouldn't be buying Sony again ;)

Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate. I just feel for my daughter who really had her heart set on this for Christmas. It took us two weeks to get the thing delivered so I doubt we'll have a replacement by Christmas (we live in country Australia).

What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour. With the macbook I can't. Not yet, anyway.

Cheers and all the best.
It sounds as though it's a hardware defect. I doubt you'd be able to fix a dodgy motherboard on a PC laptop either...

If it's a software issue then booting off the install discs would work, but you've ruled that out.

Well done on not rubbing it on though - there's nothing worse than going "against" your parent's preferences and having them rub it in.

OP
G
Reaction score
It sounds as though it's a hardware defect. I doubt you'd be able to fix a dodgy motherboard on a PC laptop either...

If I don't have the parts in my workshop, I'd have to travel 50k. My nearest Apple Shop is over 200k. The nearest "authorised apple agent" I wouldn't give the time of day.

But let's leave it. We'll box it up and courier it back.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Given the Apple hype, it is very disappointing.

And opening a DOA Windows laptop at Christmas wouldn't be disappointing as well??

My suspicions about Apple and Macs are confirmed.

And what suspicions are those? That Apple equipment can occasionally fail, just like any other manufacturers equipment? Should we now refer to you as Sherlock Holmes?

Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate.

A debate would be constructive......your comments have been nothing close to constructive.

What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour

Sometimes we don't always get our way pumpkin.

If I don't have the parts in my workshop, I'd have to travel 50k. My nearest Apple Shop is over 200k. The nearest "authorised apple agent" I wouldn't give the time of day.

So it sounds like you're only here to whine and have no desire to actually help your daughter get her laptop fixed. Looks good on you. Next you'll be breaking out the "I told you so's" to further cement your case.

You're destined to hate Apple products. Best to return it now and save your daughter the hassle of having to deal with YOU when/if something does go wrong. That I'm afraid will be much worse than dealing with Apple.

Reaction score
Just return it for a new replacement..Not every apple product is perfect. And I agree with Khris comment. Instead of here to whine about the product..Why don't you think of a way to fix the problem? Like returning it for a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
Don't leave your daughter out on a limb because you have a bias against Macs. If she wanted a Mac so much, I would be quick to get a replacement, and I'd bet 100 bucks that that problem doesn't happen on the new one you get.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
And opening a DOA Windows laptop at Christmas wouldn't be disappointing as well??

And what suspicions are those? That Apple equipment can occasionally fail, just like any other manufacturers equipment? Should we now refer to you as Sherlock Holmes?

A debate would be constructive......your comments have been nothing close to constructive.

Sometimes we don't always get our way pumpkin.

So it sounds like you're only here to whine and have no desire to actually help your daughter get her laptop fixed. Looks good on you. Next you'll be breaking out the "I told you so's" to further cement your case.

You're destined to hate Apple products. Best to return it now and save your daughter the hassle of having to deal with YOU when/if something does go wrong. That I'm afraid will be much worse than dealing with Apple.

I think you are being a little harsh. If he wants to think that way about Apple, then let him.

I seriously doubt even if it was a PC machine he would have been able to fix it. Seeing as this was HDD related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are being a little harsh.

I'm being realistic.

If he wants to think that way about Apple, then let him.

So he can think what he wants, but I get called "harsh" for thinking what I want to? A little hypocritical, no?

I seriously doubt even if it was a PC machine he would have been able to fix it. Seeing as this was HDD related.

His definition of "being able to fix it (PC)" is probably the same way to fix a defective Apple product......RETURN/EXCHANGE IT! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm being realistic.

So he can think what he wants, but I get called "harsh" for thinking what I want to? A little hypocritical, no?

His definition of "being able to fix it (PC)" is probably the same way to fix a defective Apple product......RETURN/EXCHANGE IT! :)

I'm not saying that you can't say whatever you want, but it really sounds mean spirited and like you are flamming him.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, Did you hold down the C key when trying to boot from the OSX DVD? It will not boot from the DVD unless you do.

Since it's just a day or so old, Take it back. Do not even mess with it. It's a defective machine and they owe you a new one. Happens with every brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Wow everyone feels like causing trouble lately. ;)

GuiGuy, have you contacted Apple by phone yet? They usually will send you a box to send it back in as this hopefully counts as DOA. If you ask I'm sure they will do overnight delivery for you too. Apple is really good about things like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not saying that you can't say whatever you want

Your comment could be construed as such.

but it really sounds mean spirited and like you are flamming him.

The guy wanted to prove that Apple is garbage and that his "suspicions about Apple are confirmed". He had no intention of looking at things from an objective point of view and realizing that not just Apple machines can sometimes be a dud. He even said that he held back his "I told you so's" so as not to further hurt his daughter's feelings.......but you know he wanted to say it.

It's hard to feel sympathetic for people who will only be happy watching something fail to support their own ideals. Then to say that he's not looking forward to dealing with the "Apple Shop" to get a replacement......he's got no desire to have a working Apple laptop in his daughter's possession. He wants this to be a lesson to her that you shouldn't buy Apple and god only knows why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
Why is this guy even on the forum, he's obviously a PC user and didn't seem like he was even asking for advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Why is this guy even on the forum, he's obviously a PC user and didn't seem like he was even asking for advice.

Just what I was thinking...he says he's asking for help but I can't quite see what the exact problem is. It's brand new, take it to the Apple shop / call them up for a collection, stop moaning and being arrogant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Don't feed trolls. I Respectfully recommend this thread be closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just what I was thinking...he says he's asking for help but I can't quite see what the exact problem is. It's brand new, take it to the Apple shop / call them up for a collection, stop moaning and being arrogant.

Hit the nail on the head with that comment!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP...

You came here with an Attitude and trying to show your daughter that Macs and Apple reek and you get a Lemon Macbook and judge all Macs and Apple by it. People here offer suggestions (Take it back for an exchange since its brand new) and you seem to ignore everyone here and fight back.

I feel this thread is a Flamewar waiting to happen. I am going to close it. If you do take our advice and exchange the Macbook and have a different outlook, do come back and let us know.

We are here to help and really don't want Mac bashing (Nor Windows bashing) here at Mac Forums.

And I have to say I do agree in this case, Do not feed the trolls. We can only help people when they really want to listen to our help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.