• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Blurry still photos in IMovie'06 HD

Reaction score
Using an Imac, OS-X, and IMovie'06 HD, I made a video with mixed sources: HD 16x9 .mp4 video clips, SD video .avi's from my point and shoot camera, and 7 megapixel .jpeg stills from that camera.

Everything is sharp except the stills. Why?

This might be a clue: In transitions (mostly dissolves) between the photos, the image, momentarily, becomes sharp... just IN the transition, 'til the image changes ... the the next still becomes blurry until the next transition and it snaps into focus as it dissolves.

What have I done wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only reference I could find in regard to this was that you might want to try importing your images with the Ken Burns effect on.

An option might be; render the affect, cut at the render completion point, and reinsert the photo at that point.

I did try replicating the issue, but had no luck. I'm was using iMovie HD version 6.0.4.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks ...

...I will try it, but that kind of "trick" ought to be unnecessary in a program like IMovie'06 HD, that invites the use of stills. Right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I agree, 'tricks' shouldn't be needed.

You said you made your movie from mixed sources. Perhaps you could make a separate one with just stills and see if that improves the situation. You could then combine it into your main movie via an export and import process.

Lastly. I'm starting to believe (rightly or wrongly) there is a correlation between using AVI video and problems popping up with the Apple editors. It might be best to first convert them to some kind of QuickTime video first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks

I will try a mini movie of just stills. Good idea.

Along with your warning about .avi's, a guy in my office just insisted that "Macs hate .jpegs. You should convert all your stills to .tiffs"

Groan. Could my few, short avi's and my 20 stills (in a movie that is mostly HD .mp4's that look great) really POLLUTE finished product?

IMovie is supposed to be simple. I might as well use Final Cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never heard of jpgs having issues on Macs, except when the jpg is messed up. Tiffs take up a lot of space. The only advantage is that they are lossless, but so are PNGs.

iMovie is simple and as I said, I wasn't able to duplicate the problem. I think I've seen the problem mentioned here before, but had trouble finding any threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.