Looking for knowledge about a digital camera

Reaction score
I want to buy my Dad a camera

I want to buy my dad a canon powershot digital camera. He wants one just to capture shots and get inspired to paint them. How many Pixels would you recommend? An, which camera would you recommend?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Looks like 8-12 mega pixels.

Reaction score
Go to reputable camera shop. Buy last years model. Most professional shops wont steer you the wrong way. 6mp is fine, 8 is better. If you dad doesn't need to crop the pics, there's no need for supper high mp.
I would stick with either a Canon or Nikon.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am interested in buying the Canon PowerShot A470 7-Megapixel Digital Camera for someone.

Good bang for the buck?

OP
M
Reaction score
Additionally I am looking at the Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom.

Just online window shopping to see what is good. Please community, help me out if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Canon Powershot cameras are excellent cameras. For in depth reviews I would recommend going to either steves-digicams or dpreview for more information about those specific cameras.

I have a Canon Powershot A75 which, while older and only 3.2 megapixels has been an excellent camera. I would expect that the other Powershot models would be similarly excellent. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Im a huge fan of the powershot cameras. I think their best asset is the manuel modes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Bought my wife the A590 IS and it's much better than most PnS camera's in its price range. With almost full (no manual focus of course, but you knew that) manual controls, and a tripod handy for night shots, you'll produce some fantastic pictures. In fact, the only negative (which its brethren share) it has is the noise it produces with higher ISO settings for dark/night shots. But as said, have tripod, will travel !

Great gift.

doug

P.S. Forgot. One more negative. Eats batteries fairly quickly, so make sure to get a spare pair of rechargeable batteries (Sanyo Enloops are great) and a decent charger, as quick chargers kill the overall battery life real fast.

P.P.S. make that two.. The viewfinder is useless unless you're using automatic mode, which I never recommend because it usually sets the ISO higher than it needs to be, even in daylight. But this is not unlike most other PnS camera view finders.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I purchased a Canon A590 IS and it's a LOT of camera for the price. Amazing pictures. Best Point N Shoot I have ever used. Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter Priority, and full auto. So much control for something anywhere near it's price. Lens is excellent and so is the 4X zoom. The IS works Excellent. I shook it a lot at a recent photo shoot at the new Apple Store here in town as I was in a hurry to get some shots and there is not a blurry shot in the mix! Amazing and especially for it's low cost.

I highly recommend it for it's price and even in spite of it's low cost!

Reaction score
I have the A590IS and I'm pretty happy with it. The low price was what sold me initially but the pictures are turning out really great.

OP
M
Reaction score
cannon digital camera and imac

I once read that cannon power shot cameras are recognized by imacs without the software cd. In other words, imac can still transfer photos without the intilation cd that teh camera comes with. However, I plugged mines in and nothing.

Can someone assist me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I have a Kodak, but I never installed any disks. I just plugged it in and opened iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What version OS are you using? And what are you using to transfer the photos to the camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Thats whats great about the Mac itself. It installs all the drivers that you need right away and as soon as you plug it in. I have NEVER had to use the software CD for any of my camera's or devices since I have had a mac.
Isnt it great having a mac? Everything is so compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I can't speak for versions earlier than 10.4, but I can definitely vouch for the fact that you don't need to install any software in order to transfer pictures from a Canon camera to a Mac. I've used three separate Canon cameras and all of them transfer just fine, as does my sister's Casio camera with her Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Agreed. I have basically been on Leopard since I switched, But I went a few months with Tiger and Well, everything was still compatible for me.
Probably because i buy nothing but canon! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
What version OS are you using? And what are you using to transfer the photos to the camera?
I have the latest OS and I am trying to transfer the photos from the camera to my mac. I am using the cable that came with the camera.

OP
M
Reaction score
ok...I opened i-photos and there they are. Great! However, they don't look as nice as they look in my camera. Why do they look blurry? I have a SD1100 IS 8.0 pixel camera, why the poor image when in i-photos?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.