Internet Problems on old ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, ibook, ipod
Okay, so I just bought a new laptop and I sold my old one to my cousin. Before I sold the old one I tried to wipe it as clean as I could without touching the programs that were on it. All the programs worked fine when I shipped it out, but after she got it she called me to tell me that she couldn't log into any websites online that had a username and password. I tried to search for a fix but I couldn't figure it out. I told her to call her internet provider, which she hasn't done yet. It basically says that it can't connect to the server on all of those websites she's tried to log into. I believe the operating system that's on there is the one before panther. It's pretty much got the highest one that model will take. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it greatly. Here are a few specs on the computer:

2001 Apple iBook: 600MHz PowerPC G3 Memory: 640 MB SDRAM CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.15) L2 Cache: 256 KB Memory: 640 MB Bus Speed: 67 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.2.0f4 Built In Memory: 128 MB

Added Memory: DIMM1/J12 512 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333 Added Software: Photoshop CS3 Microsoft Office Adobe Reader Stuffit Expander Airport Card Information: Wireless Card Type:AirPort Wireless Card Firmware Version:9.52

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
*Moved thread to proper forum. Did not belong in Images and Graphic Design*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Okay, so I just bought a new laptop and I sold my old one to my cousin. Before I sold the old one I tried to wipe it as clean as I could without touching the programs that were on it. All the programs worked fine when I shipped it out, but after she got it she called me to tell me that she couldn't log into any websites online that had a username and password. I tried to search for a fix but I couldn't figure it out. I told her to call her internet provider, which she hasn't done yet. It basically says that it can't connect to the server on all of those websites she's tried to log into. I believe the operating system that's on there is the one before panther. It's pretty much got the highest one that model will take. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it greatly. Here are a few specs on the computer:

2001 Apple iBook: 600MHz PowerPC G3 Memory: 640 MB SDRAM CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.15) L2 Cache: 256 KB Memory: 640 MB Bus Speed: 67 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.2.0f4 Built In Memory: 128 MB

Added Memory: DIMM1/J12 512 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333 Added Software: Photoshop CS3 Microsoft Office Adobe Reader Stuffit Expander Airport Card Information: Wireless Card Type:AirPort Wireless Card Firmware Version:9.52

Could she get to a simple website such as google.com or will it not load any website whatsoever? It's important that you tell me if it can connect to a simple site or not. :D G3 iBooks can use 10.4 Tiger as well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, ibook, ipod
Yup, she can get into all websites, but just can't log into anything.

Reaction score
My next question would be has she tried loging into sites that don't use https? If she is trying to login to gmail, and her bank and other important items as such something could be blocking https.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, ibook, ipod
Specifically she said her email, which I'm not sure which one she uses and facebook and myspace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.