ATI X1900XT: Red warning light help wanted.

S

satrop

Good day to all!

So hears the scoop! I have an ATI X1900XT in my Pro, I was getting fed up with the fan noise. So I decided to get a "Accelero S1 Rev.2" heat sync. SO I installed it (bit of pain to get it on) pumled it back in, turned on the Mac and sat back in silence! Great I'm thinking! The apple logo comes up, spinning wheel comes up! All is good... "Oh NO"! The screen goes blank?! Get the "No Signal Input" :(

Did I kill my card? So I open the case. And on the card there are two red LEDs just forward of the power socket. The first one is for the power but the second one, I have no idea? But it's on! SO after the panic, I turn the computer off and back on again. Same thing happens! So I take out the card agian, and decide to put the old fan back on and see what happens. Do all this put the card back in. And it's working fine, no red LED's on, picture working, noise level... I don't know, but loud! I've cleand the h**l out of the fans and the whole card but it's still to loud for me.

So what is going on can any one help??

Many thanks,

Steve-0, "off of" Somerset :D (sombody will know?)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The upgraded cooling unit looks to be a passive heatsink. Does the original cooling unit have a fan?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the ATI card has a cooling fan on it

Just a guess, but some of those fans have a third wire that is used to gauge fan speed. If the card isn't getting a signal on that third pin, it might suspect there is no fan and turn the card off to prevent damage.

OP
S

satrop

OK so this is what I have done.

I took the fan off the card, and with the new heat sync on I pulr just the fan part in and sat in top of the heat sync... started up the computer, fan was spinnging but still no joy?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only other thought is that there might be a grounding problem with the new heatsink. Or perhaps, the GPU is just too hot to run with passive cooling, regardless.

OP
S

satrop

This is, I think? the only thing it could be. SO I sent the cooler back and got a different one. The Accelero X2. It just got delivered to my house and I'll install it later this afternoon. I'll take some pictures, do some heat differences, I don't have any sound testing apparatus but I do have ear's, yes TWO of them no doubt!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.