Firefox is just not the same...

Reaction score
...and it's not all bad.

Got my MBP yesterday and so I love it though there are a few things that will take some getting used to. Like the location of the @ and # keys for example.

However, Firefox isn't quite the way I'm used to and I wondered if this is a Mac thing or something wrong with my installation.

My Bookmarks Toolbar will only display Text, not icons.
My Aging Tabs extension will only display monochrome tabs not coloured tabs.

Many thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't even have my bookmarks like that because I think it's hideous. >_<"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OP Asked for help. I showed him how to get what he wants. People all have different tastes and have a right to have it the way they want it.

I really don't even use Firefox but keep it around for some sites and to help other users having issues.

Each to their own I always say.

OP
R
Reaction score
I never paid much attention but you are right. Here is a URL to an Plugin for Firefox on OSX that gives the Bookmark Toolbar icons. Looks nice.

Download Bookmark Toolbar Icons 0.1.1 - Firefox add-on that allows you to display on the Mac some bookmark toolbar icons. - Softpedia

The pic below is what Firefox looks like with that plugin installed.

The Tabs you said was a plugin. I don't have that on my PC or Mac so don't know.

Thanks for finding that.

Unfortunately it's not compatable with the latest Firefox.

Guess I'll live with it's hideousness for a while ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then why Am I running it here? I always have the latest Firefox. It runs fine.

3.0.4 is not the latest? I hope you are not running that Beta because 3.0.4 is the latest release of Firefox and it runs fine with it.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
That's odd.

It told me it can't be installed as it's not compatible with 3.04!

Bookmark.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got mine from the Softpedia USA server after clicking the Download link. It went right in. I am running a Power PC G5 iMac though but I doubt that is the issue and it installed fine and works fine as you can see from that pic. Strange indeed. For some reason I had to close Firefox and open it again. The first time I tried clicking on the download nothing opened.

OP
R
Reaction score
Just tried the RO server too - same result. This is very odd and somewhat annoying.

Also tried from Mozilla. Same result!

GRRRRR!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to fire up my Intel Mac and try it there. Will get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, Updated Firefox to 3.0.4 on Intel Mac Mini and downloaded the file. Installed first time. Strange.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Like the location of the @ and # keys for example.

What's weird about the location of the @ and # keys? They are above the 2 and 3 keys, respectively, just like on any normal keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 5.1, 2.66 gHz, 4gb ddr3, 9600m gt/9400m
has anyone had a problem with firefox 3 and the trackpads forward and back functions. the 3 finger forward and back function works fine in everything else (finder, safari, camino, etc...) but does not work with firefox. I posted on the firefox forum and have not received an answer to this yet. other than that i dont really have any issues with running firefox in osx. its just annoying to have a trackpad that has the ability to navigate back and forward but still have to click the forward and back buttons in the browser. any thoughts?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
has anyone had a problem with firefox 3 and the trackpads forward and back functions. the 3 finger forward and back function works fine in everything else (finder, safari, camino, etc...) but does not work with firefox. I posted on the firefox forum and have not received an answer to this yet. other than that i dont really have any issues with running firefox in osx. its just annoying to have a trackpad that has the ability to navigate back and forward but still have to click the forward and back buttons in the browser. any thoughts?

The trackpad gestures are only available on programs that specifically support them. The latest Firefox beta has full support for the trackpad gestures.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.