Time Machine Sharing

Reaction score
I have an iMac that uses an external USB2 500GB drive to back up via Time Machine. I also have a MacBook Air – can I use the external HDD plugged into the iMac to share as a backup device using Time Machine on the MacBook Air over my wireless network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I don't think so, I know Time Machine has to see the drive under 'Options' for it to be used as a Backup Device.

However I am not 100% sure! I will have to test it in our Mac Lab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*Updated* - Yes you can use Time Machine over a network if your external drive is hooked to your iMac, and both are running Leopard.

You need to take the External Drive and make it visible on the network, give the correct read/write permissions.

Go on the MBA and mount the drive on your desktop.

Open up Time Machine and click 'Change Disk'. It should show up in the list of available drives.

Reaction score
how do you share an external among more than one mac wirelessly? how do you make one mac see it when it is not physically plugged into it? can this be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once the drive is shared, any Mac computers on the same network can see the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.