RAM upgrade? MB model number doesn't match Processor

Reaction score
I currently have 2GB of ram in my macbook (1GB per slot), and wanted to get a 2GB stick for one of the slots.

My problem is that I'm not sure if my macbook will take it. I used a serial number decoder online to find my model number, and this model is suppose to have the Core 2 Duo (according to Wikipedia), but I'm pretty sure mine is just a Core Duo - which I think means I'm limited to the 2GB I currently have.

Anyways, this is the info that the serial number decoder gave me, if anyone can figure it out. Thanks!

Name: MacBook
Model: MA700 MacBook (White) 2.0GHz
Bus speed: 667MHz
Family name: A1181
Screen size: 13 inch
Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
Memory - number of slots: 2
Factory: 4H (China)
Model introduced: 2006
Production year: 2006
Production week: 43 (October)
Production number: 260 (within this week)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's actually very simple to figure out which model you have. Click on the Apple at the top left and select "About this Mac." It says right there next to processor what type you have.

Judging by the production date, you might have a Core Duo processor since the Core 2 Duos came out in November of 2006.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks! I did find it there. It is a Core Duo.

That means I'm stuck with 2GB max for ram then, is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That is correct

Reaction score
Not to jack this thread but...
I have a white MB with the 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 2GB installed... what are my upgrade options?? I was looking on the Apple site last night and it sure looked like it said 2GB was the max but I could of swarn the saleman @ the Apple store was telling me I could upgrade the ram...
I bought this MB new on Sep 25th 2008 ...
Also will more ram affect performance very much? Would it be worth it?

THanks

OP
W
Reaction score
I've done some reading since I posted this question. The Core 2 Duo will take up to 3GB, and you don't have to match the slots. You can do 2GB in one slot and 1GB in the other. Some other people claimed if you put 2GB in each slot then you would be able to use up to a maximum of 3.3GB.
I'm sure it would help some. When I upgraded from a total of 1GB to 2GB it made a remarkable difference. 2GB to 3GB has got to make some noticeable improvement (if you're noticing anything being sluggish already)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.