Accessing aiport disks over the internet on Vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have two HDD's hooked up to my time capsule and they are set to be shared over the internet using bonjour. This all works flawlessly on my mac. On vista its a different story. I can access the disks from vista by typing the ip address into the windows explorer like so "\\xx.xx.xxx.xxx". This works fine while im connected over the local network. Over the internet vista says that the airport router is firewalling port 445. I cant set port 445 on the router to be open, because that conflicts with the routers file sharing port which is already open. I can't figure out why vista won't connect over the internet... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Have you tried to change port 445 to something else on the router?

When you mean 'over the internet' do you mean from a remote location or in your house using Safari or Firefox?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
my router is a time capsule (so basically its a airport extreme base station). Im not sure how to change which port handles file sharing on the router, is that even possible?

As to the second point, in my home I can access the drives by typing either the ip address of the router or my internet ip address into the windows explorer. From a remote location, if i type the internet ip address into the windows explorer, it tells me that the router is blocking port 445 from communicating with me...

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
changing the port should be do-able. I don't use a Time Capsule or Airport Base station, but I would assume, you can access it via a IP like http://192.168.1.1 (as an example)

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
changing the port should be do-able. I don't use a Time Capsule or Airport Base station, but I would assume, you can access it via a IP like http://192.168.1.1 (as an example)

Airport base stations use airport utility for configuration, but there is no method on it that I can see for changing ports. I can map ports, but not change them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport base stations use airport utility for configuration, but there is no method on it that I can see for changing ports. I can map ports, but not change them.

Ok... that makes sense, I don't use one so I wasnt sure.

I'll have to check into a few things to get a better answer for you.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Same problem Except Windows XP Pro any ideas i just wasnt to access my TC from work to share files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.