Safari problem with a large PDF file

Reaction score
My new iMac in my home won't download a large PDF file, which I can successfully download with my fairly old Windows PC at work. I'm not sure of the file size, but it's about 210 pages of aviation diagrams.

I can't imagine that the iMac is choking on the file size. Any ideas?

Sam

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about viewing the PDF within a browser window. IMHO, downloading a PDF is always more reliable (and often faster)...especially large PDFs. YMMV :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" C2D 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 160GB HD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Nano 8GB
To download it without opening it first just right click (Ctrl Click) on the link and choose download.
I had the same issues but after downloading Adobe Acrobat and using that as my pdf viewer it's been muich faster to load. Try downloading Acrobat.
Let me know how it goes.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Safari help page titled, "Viewing PDF files," which says when you click a link for a PDF file, Safari displays it in your browser window (just like Windows does). There isn't a button to click to download the file, only a link directly to the PDF file. How can I download it without opening it in Safari--which as I said in the first post above, it won't open. It times out after about five minutes and closes the Safari window. But like I also say above, my old clunker PC at work will download and open the file (but it takes its time doing it.)

This is really bugging me. I have this terrific new machine that won't download fairly big files, but files my old PC would reliably do.

Sam

OP
C
Reaction score
Control click is right click?! Wow, that's been my only gripe about changing to a Mac--no right click. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
You can set up right click in mouse preferences as the secondary click.
Not at my mac now so can't tell you exactly.
I think its in system preferences, mouse/keyboard and then assign secondary button/click to right hand side of mouse.

OP
C
Reaction score
The PDF file is downloading as I type this. Thanks to all you folks. This forum is very helpful to new Mac users like me. I'll change my mouse to right click for me now.

Thanks again,
Sam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.