Imac g5 - Issues starting up - reformatted

Reaction score
HI, i have an imac g5, and i just recently erased the drive and reformatted it,

Im in the dilemma of trying to install software onto it.

Though before i had erased and reformatted it, i was having problems with it all together, as i could not boot from disk using the command C while mac was loading, I did a PRAM reset, that didn't work either. safemode didn't work. I have tried disk warrior, disk utility, applejack(deep clean mode also), and the fsck -fy in single user mode, all which didn't register/work on my imac/following all the tricks and trouble shooting directions i have found on the web.

My harddive im pretty sure is now free of all this, as before it wouldn't load up, it would go to the grey apple loading up and then to a blue screen with the mouse cursor visible, and could be moved around, nothing else.

When i do start up my mac, it goes to the grey apple, and then to a flashing folder icon/finder icon. and then it goes to the kernel packet screen, so i have to restart my computer, the same thing will happen.

What am i to do in this situation, is there a combination of things i need to press when it comes to the finder icon folder or do?

also, still none of the methods work to start up my mac, or am i missing a step here? I reformatted my imac through disk utility in target mode from my other mac, what should i do in this situation, before i decide to take it into an apple mac store? What other work arounds are there?

how do i install the mac OS onto my imac through my other mac? I have come across pacifist, but not sure how to go about installing the discs to the imac.

I hope this message isn't too long, otherwise i would appreciate it heaps if i could get some help, been stuck with the mac not working for the past week or so.

Thankyou to anyone who can put me in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A lot will depend on what type of install disc was used on your other Mac, as say a PowerBook uses a different system restore disc to a G4 Tower to an iMac.

If the disc is a black coloured full retail install disc and not a grey model specific disc, install from the black disc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Software and applications to use

well my g4 tower mac has tiger installed on it, so i should use tiger for my g5 imac, thats what you are saying?

If i install tiger on my g5 imac, am i able to upgrade to leopard later on, if my system gets working and is up an running? ad if so, what steps will i undertake to do this? Also how would i go about doing it.. what software is it i use, do i use pacifist app, to extract the files from the tiger disk? as my load-up from disc feature for my imac isn't working/by pressing and holding down C? as i have been using target disk mode for my imac.

but thanks for the tip, ill give it a try, and let you know what the go is, and if others have suggestions in the meantime that would be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. What colour is the install disc you are using?

For example if the grey coloured Tiger discs came with a G4 it will not work on a G5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.